Problem - Application Deleted

Reaction score
I want to update the application Garageband, but one of my former friends deleted it from my computer. When I go to the App store, it says to select another app with which to launch it, and I cannot select the old Garageband because it was deleted, and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to choose a different app. I just want to restore the Garageband program. Please help, someone??

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forums! I presume you have no backupos, right? Because if you did, you could just restore GB from there.

C

chas_m

You can buy the latest Garageband* from the Mac App Store for $20 I think (I don't know the price because I already have it installed so it just says "Install" on my machine).

*If you were using Garageband primarily for podcasting, I cannot recommend the latest version, as it is missing a lot of the podcasting features the previous version had. For music, though, the new version is GREAT! I just did a song in it for laughs and was very impressed at how it turned out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
are you sure he fully deleted it?

go to finder - devices - macintosh hd - applications

and see if it's still there

if it is then drag it back to your applications folder
if it isn't then unless you've got it backed up then it's gone

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
??? devices - macintosh hd - applications ???

That is the Applications folder. So if it is there, it is already in the Applications folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
??? devices - macintosh hd - applications ???

That is the Applications folder. So if it is there, it is already in the Applications folder.

i once dragged an application from the applications folder listed in the left most column (favourites) and thought I'd lost it only to find it still in the devices - mac hd - applications folder where I could drag it back from.

OP
C
Reaction score
No it's not in Devices>MacIntosh HD>Applications. Thanks, but none of these comments have been at all helpful.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No it's not in Devices>MacIntosh HD>Applications. Thanks, but none of these comments have been at all helpful.

You will need to reinstall whichever version of OS X you are using to get it back.

The other option is to purchase Pacifist which can extract individual apps from the OS X installer.

i once dragged an application from the applications folder listed in the left most column (favourites) and thought I'd lost it only to find it still in the devices - mac hd - applications folder where I could drag it back from.

That is not the default. You can test this out yourself by heading for Devices - MacIntosh HD and then double click on the Applications folder on the right side instead of a single click - whereupon you will see that the Applications folder under Favorites will be highlighted.

For this not to be the case, the original Applications folder under Favorites would had to have been removed at some point and then the user's application folder (rather than the one at the root) moved there in it's place.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You will need to reinstall whichever version of OS X you are using to get it back.

The other option is to purchase Pacifist which can extract individual apps from the OS X installer.
… … ...

Hmmm…??? I don't recall Garageband actually being included with any recent OS X installs.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I stand corrected...

?? I have it - never bought it - have no need for it as an app. Maybe a left over from the old iLife apps?

Wife has it on her new iMac - I know she never bought it separately - but she did do a TM restore from a collective 6 yr TM backup..

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Buyers of a new Mac since 2013 get free copies of Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iPhoto, Garageband, iMovie, and some others that I forget. Also buyers of a new iOS device get a free copy of the equivalents for iOS. When I first turned on my new iMac, software update started to offer me all sorts of free stuff. I was waiting for a new Mustang but it was never offered.... ;P:$

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

Well, you have left two posts on this forum and the above statement in bold is not only irritating but disrespectful! :Angry:

You've provided no information on the Mac computer you own nor the OS X that is installed - and I have no idea why your so-called friend deleted the program. Instead of getting 'hot-headed' over this issue and throwing out an insulting comment, please provide us w/ more details - maybe then help can be provided - AND keep in mind that we get paid nothing for offering advice, so nasty comments will not gleam you much help - Dave :)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I have a Mid 2012 MBP and Garage Band 10.0.3 is in my Apps Folder on Yosemite. It is a little difficult to work out if it was included in the upgrade or if I already had it (as I don't use it at all). The Apple site states; Built into every Mac are six powerful productivity and creativity apps: Pages, Keynote, Numbers, iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand but that doesn't tell us if it comes with the OS. Or for that matter which models come with these apps installed. I too had iWorks before upgrade so bobtomay may have something there.
Searching for apps included with Yosemite upgrade aren't much help. But my guess is since our OP already had it a reinstall would include it. He doesn't mention what OSX he is running but that shouldn't matter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.