Problem after adding additional disk to 17" MBP

Reaction score
As my MBP came with a 250Gb SSD I have swapped out the optical drive for a new SSHD SATA 6GB/s 64MB 9.5mm Hard Drive. All went well and disk was formatted as Journaled HFS+, all files have been copied over and now here is the problem. Anything over approx 5Mb can't be copied to any other disk, I can move them to any directory on this new SSHD without issue.

I can copy files from my NAS to my original SSD, copy from this to the new SSHD all without issue. However, when I then attempt to copy them from this drive to any other location I get:

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “filename” can’t be read or written.
(Error code -36)

If I edit the file that fails, on the first attempt I get another error that the file cannot be found, then I try to edit again and it opens the file for editing. If I edit and save the file I can now copy it to anywhere I want.

What I can find on forums for the 36 error suggests running "dot_clean" on folders, have tried this but without success.

Any ideas??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.