Printing on wireless network

Reaction score
The Epson home printer (NX430) that I have has stopped recognizing our 2 Macs and printing. I have brought computer and printer to my office, connected them to this network and it works fine.
All units show great signal strength. Everything appears normal. The printer just won't print on the home network. Any ideas?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Have you tried to remove the printer from your 2 Macs and re-adding it (thus causing it to be actually found on the network)?

OP
L
Reaction score
wireless printing

Have you tried to remove the printer from your 2 Macs and re-adding it (thus causing it to be actually found on the network)?

Yes, I've tried removing and adding back the printer multiple times. But I've had no success.

It's strange that the computer and printer previously recognized each other on the home wireless, just recently communicated with each other on another (office) network, but now does not work on the home internet....

What changed?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What changed?

Don't know...you tell us. You know your home network/setup the best.:)

Could be due to almost anything (examples):

- OS updates
- App install's
- App updates
- Other family members changing settings
- Corrupted preference file's.
- No maintenance.
- Need to reset network equip.
- etc.

These are just examples...no need to say yes/no to them.:)

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
OK, so the printer is found and can be configured for use. What happens when you look at the status of the printer in System Preferences? You don't say what OS X/macOS you are running, but make sure it's the latest and also have you installed any drivers for the printer?

OP
L
Reaction score
In Preferences, the printer shows up as the default printer, in fact the only printer that's shown. Both Macs are running MacOS

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Epson home printer (NX430) that I have has stopped recognizing our 2 Macs and printing. I have brought computer and printer to my office, connected them to this network and it works fine.
All units show great signal strength. Everything appears normal. The printer just won't print on the home network. Any ideas?

Run the Epson printer setup again from start - check your Epson Manual and go thru the steps. I suspect that something has changed on your home network such as the type of encryption you're using or the wireless password. Or, perhaps the name of your network. Any one of those will cause the Epson to quit working wireless. Make sure you attach the USB cable to your Mac when going thru the setup.

I have an Epson NX420 (one model older than yours) and any one of the things I mentioned above will cause it to stop recognizing my home network and quit printing wireless. Also your terminology is incorrect.... your Epson has quit recognizing your network not your 2 Macs. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Make sure you attach the USB cable to your Mac when going thru the setup.

I haven't used that suggested method for ages, but will admit I haven't setup any Epson wireless printers recently either, but when I have followed the suggestion, the wi-fi printing would seldom work properly.

Many printer manufacturers now have a browser setup available and no cable connections are required and usually works well.

Patrick
=====

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Many printer manufacturers now have a browser setup available and no cable connections are required and usually works well.

That's true, however, the browser setup method can be iffy depending on the connection and router settings. Which is why attaching the USB cable and going thru the "bonjour" discovery method usually works for stubborn cases. HP and Brother use the browser setup method and it works well when everything else is working. Like anything else your mileage may vary. ;D

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Do you have two different segments to your network (say one 2.4 GHz and one 5 GHz)?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have two different segments to your network (say one 2.4 GHz and one 5 GHz)?

That should sort itself out if he goes thru the Epson setup again. The Epson setup instructions are pretty good taking you step by step while at the same time the LCD indicator will tell you if you're on the right track. It will even show the encryption and if the password you set is working.

OP
L
Reaction score
i have confirmed that the printer is on my home network. Likewise my mac is running on the home network. However, when I attempt to connect the mac to the printer, running the epson printer setup on the mac, it cannot find the printer. I have run it numerous times.

OP
L
Reaction score
Follow-up to my printer problems. I connected the printer with a cable and it printed fine. Then I disconnected it again, tried to print, and had no success.

I'm still not sure about the terminology... but I've run the "check network connection" option on the printer. It "passes" all tests, correctly names the network it's running on and shows excellent signal strength

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, obviously there is still something that's not right. That printer should be recognized and able to print on your home network if everything else is normal.

Try resetting your Mac's printing system by following the instructions given here. Let us know if that works.

Follow-up to my printer problems. I connected the printer with a cable and it printed fine. Then I disconnected it again, tried to print, and had no success.

When you removed the USB cable did you go down to the bottom of the dialog and click on the small + sign to add a printer? Try that... I believe your Epson wireless will then appear as an installable printer. The Epson NX430 is actually two printers in one: USB and wireless. You have the USB connection, now you need to install the wireless. Try what I suggested to see if that works. If it doesn't work, go ahead and reset your Mac's printing system.

Reaction score
printer not printing

your printer ip might be changed for some reason. SO you manually chage the ip address for printer and try print again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Does your printer show and can you do any checking or maintenance under the Printers tab if you try going here using your Safari browser:
http://localhost:631

It should work whether its connected via cable or wireless and your router is compatible.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.