Printer Scanner Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" IMAC with an M1 chip &16 GB Memory
I have a new IMAC running 21.5 inch screen with 3.1 GHz quad core Intel5 with 8GB of memory. I am using a Brothers MFC-J875DW printer/scanner/copier. I can print and copy without any problems but I cannot Scan. Is there a cable or something that I am missing that enables the scan to work. I also have a 2tb Time machine router that I am using. Hopefully this is all the info needed.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Do you mean that you cannot scan at all or that you cannot scan using the scan to PC buttons on the device?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have a new IMAC running 21.5 inch screen with 3.1 GHz quad core Intel5 with 8GB of memory. I am using a Brothers MFC-J875DW printer/scanner/copier. I can print and copy without any problems but I cannot Scan. Is there a cable or something that I am missing that enables the scan to work. I also have a 2tb Time machine router that I am using. Hopefully this is all the info needed.

Hello - please also provide information on which OS X you are using (will be needed w/ the link to be provided) & how the printer is connected to your iMac, i.e. cabled directly, wireless, or via a network drive?

My first suggestion is to visit the Brother Support Site for your specific printer - the first pic below shows a variety of choices on the left, including setup guides and manuals - select your OS X and then proceed as directed - this will bring up the second pic - have you installed the scanner drivers? Review the information there and let us know if you resolved the scanning issue? Good luck - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 1.40.29 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 1.41.16 PM.png

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am using OSX 10.11.5 and the printer is hooked directly to my Time Machine router through a cable. I have checked the Brothers site and downloaded the latest driver all to no avail. It will only r3ecognize the printer portion of the device.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What happens if you connect the printer directly to the Mac via USB cable? I ask that because there are some functions that may not be supported in that configuration. My, Canon, for example, does not show me the ink levels when connected to my Time Capsule

If you find that it works when directly to the computer, it may work wirelessly if that printer has wireless capabilities.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The minute I disconnected from the Tim Capsule and hooked directly to the USB on the back of the computer the scan worked. Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The minute I disconnected from the Tim Capsule and hooked directly to the USB on the back of the computer the scan worked. Thank you very much for the suggestion.
Great. Glad that works for you. TBH it was something of a shot in the dark.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I got myself into a right lather trying to get my Canon printer to scan with wifi. Pressed every button going then put a call in to Canon who told me to do it from the computer end. Duh!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't had to call them but I also haven't been impressed with their directions either. At one time the printer setup would not configure wirelessly unless you plugged it in via USB first. Thats mildly annoying but that is made more annoying by the fact that their less than stellar directions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

That AIO printer/scanner is also airprint wireless capable if you have a wi-fi base and other devices like an iPad or iPhone you want to use with it. Just in case you didn't know or needed that function… :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Have done this dance myself on a number of occasions - had problems with Epson, had problems with Canon.
Brother has been the best by far, but in saying that, to do wireless scanning has always involved downloading additional software from the Brother site and making sure that the Printer is installed and showing in Sys Prefs/Printers (etc depending on version of OS on your Mac )
Directions - well that is a whole nuther topic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I got myself into a right lather trying to get my Canon printer to scan with wifi. Pressed every button going then put a call in to Canon who told me to do it from the computer end. Duh!

FWIW: I don't know what OS X version or Canon model you're using, but we can scan from or to our Canon MG5620, either to or from our Macs (SL - Mavericks + most iDevices) over wireless.

As I recall to get scanning working from the Canon and its control panel, it needed to be setup in the panels Setup and set the Mac as a target.

Anyway, it's easier and more control doing the scanning from the Mac.

PS: Setup was a bit of a PITA as I recall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
Hello Timkins & All,
I realize I'm late to this thread & I'm glad to read that you have the scanner working!
I have a "Plan B" solution that you may also like. The solution allows devices to connect wirelessly to your Brother, but with a twist.
(Sorry that this reply is kind of long...)

BACKGROUND:
I've got almost exactly the same brother MFC Printer Scanner printer that you have & had the exact same problem. (Mine is the 2-tray version of your MFC & my printer-scanner does not have NFC capability.) I also had my printer connected to the router via USB (mine wasn't an Apple router, however).

The only way I could scan was using the way Slydude mentioned: USB from Computer-to-Printer. Wired from printer-to-router did not allow scanning.
Brother's normal wireless set up never worked. Tech support's answer was to use a USB, just like Slydude mentioned. (So much for wireless...) The problem is that my wife's computer is on the first floor & the printer is in the basement, so that is why I bought a (supposedly) wireless printer.

THE WIRELESS SOLUTION:
Then, after much experimentation, I came up with "Plan B":
Computer Talks Wirelessly To Router. Router Talks Via Wire To Printer-Scanner

Any device that can wirelessly 'talk' to the router can operate the printer-scanner. (Like phones & stuff.)
You don't have to cable direct if your printer is far from the router. At first, my printer was connected to an ethernet jack which goes to a central punch-down block where all the ethernet jacks meet. Then the printer was connected to another jack. My 'Plan B' worked fine that way.
Now, the printer is coincidentally under the router, so it goes directly to the router.

STEP-BY-STEP:
Step One: Uninstall the printer using System Preferences & re-boot the Mac.

Step Two: Remove all of the Brother software on the computer. It was very hard to find all of it, so I used Easy Find. app to get everything. Brother sure sends a lot pf programs with the printer.

Step Three: Connect the Brother device to the router with a wire. (I used an ethernet cable. I think USB will also work. I could not test if for you because my router's firmware does not support USB.)

Step Four: I let OS X install the printer but used the driver from Apple instead of Brother. Don't choose wireless.
The MFC is actually wired, just the computer, phone & iPads are wireless.
Step Four Note: Scanning did not work with the drivers from Brother's DVD or web site. It only worked with drivers received via Apple Software update. I have no idea why the difference. (And when I upgraded my OS to 10.11, I again could only use drivers from Apple.)

Step Five: Celebrate Success!
You don't get most of the extra programs that Brother supplies, like Control Center & the really lousy OCR app, but you still get the Status Monitor so you can check ink level, stop in-progress printing & stuff like that. You also get to keep the Scan To button on the machine for each computer in your network and all the FAXing capabilities.

To Summarize: Printer - Cord - Router Computer - <Wireless> - Router

NOT REALLY RELATED, BUT THIS BREAKS THROUGH ANOTHER BROTHER OBSTACLE:
You may have noticed that your printer's box and manual probably state scan resolutions that are not actually available on your scanner.
For example: Mine stated 2,400 x 2,400 optical scan resolution. It is in the manual, on the box, on the web site and on a sticker on the machine itself.
In reality, the printer actually could not even reach 600 x 600- optical or interpolated.
Brother tech support told me "Yes, the scanner can do those resolutions, but our software & drivers can't. You have to find your own software." (When you buy a car that advertises 300 HP, do you have to find & buy and purchase an engine on your own that can do 300 HP?)

So, after lots of research trying to get a 600x600 scan, I did what any smart person would do: Asked on this forum for ideas.
An application called Vue Scan was highly recommended. (hamrick dot com)

Vue Scan sent my scanner into the Rolls Royce class.
I not only can scan up to 2,400 x 2,400 but can also do every scan much, much faster. The application also has many useful features that either make scan tasks more fun or more efficient.

My favorite feature (besides the speed of scanning) is "Interleave".
As an example, if I have a multi page document with printing on both sides, I stick them in the document feeder face up and scan. Next I flip the stack over & scan. Then I click the "Interleave" button. The pages get shuffled back into the correct order. With the Brother software I had to scan manually if the item was two-sided. That's tedious if it is a many paged document.
My next favorite is what I call the "Oops, I forgot" button. If I scan something & forgot a page or want to add a page, I can click the application's "Scan Plus" button to add it to the scanned document. With Brother's software, I'd have to scan 2 separate documents & use an Automator script to merge them.

Tech Support is great, too. Ask a question & you get a very fast reply that is 100% helpful.
Actually, before I got the application, I wrote & asked if it would let me scan to the resolutions that Brother advertised. Mr. Hamrick (the owner & engineer) wrote back & asked me to try it (free) and let him know. It did not let my particular MFC reach over 600x600. I let Mr. Hamrick know & the next day, he published an updated version that got me all the way to the 2,400 x 2,400 scan resolution. All of this was done before I spent one penny with the company. How's that for great customer service?

I don't want to sound like an advertisement for Vue Scan. (Moderators, please edit or remove this if you think it is inappropriate.)
I don't know the people who own the company or have any gain from recommending it. I just think you may get some enjoyment out of using their application instead of the Brother programs.

I hope this 'hybrid' wireless scanning & printing method is helpful to someone along the way!
Be Sure To Enjoy This Day!
Paul

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can second your recommendation of VueScan. I used it several years ago because the drivers for the scanner that I had at the time did not work under OS X. I had forgotten about some of the extra features. Haven't used it in a while and it sounds like things have continued to improve. Time to check it out again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
I did notice that Mr. Hamrick is really good about updating, so there are bound to be new features.

Maybe one of their slogans could be "We wake the dead". I gave a very high-end, but quite elderly, Microtek SCSI scanner to a person who made some sort of adapter and used VueScan to get it working very well with OS X. The scanner was from about 1990. I was impressed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.