Printer Problem

Reaction score
I am using a MacOS Big Sur version 11.5 desktop computer with an Epson XP-6105. I have a problem trying to print small pieces of paper or card. For example, if I try to print a title list for a CD size 12.2cm x 12.2cm, whatever setting I put in, the printer will only print the list to one side. See attached.

It doesn’t matter what ever custom size or orientation I use I get the same result. It is as if it is trying to print on a portrait A5 sheet.

Does anyone else using the same computer and printer experience this problem and know how to solve it? Epson appear to have no idea.
1628430843904.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 5K 27" i9 3.6Ghz. 3TB, 8Gb, Vega 48, Sonoma, 15 Pro Max, iPad M1, MBP M1, AppleTV, Watches
Hi And Welcome to the site. Printers and printing can be difficult at the best of times.
Consider "Who is in charge", computer or printer? First of all what size paper are you printing to (you mentioned as if trying to print to an A5 sheet) ..... what does that mean? What is the program you are using, Adobe Acrobat, Pages, Word, Notes ...? Have you set computer manages output, or printer itself manages output automatically ? Are you printing several CD lists on an A4. Are you using small 12.2cm cut sheets and placed in the centre of the paper tray or to one side or the other ? Are you using the Envelope print setting dialog? I need more to go on.
Paul

OP
B
Reaction score
Hello Paul. Thanks for the reply.
I was trying to print to a 12.2cm x 12.2cm piece of paper although I have the same problem with other custom sizes. The software shows the 12.2cm size but you will see from my attachment that the text is showing to one size, in fact if I set the size to A5, the text shows in the middle of an A5 sheet which corresponds with the offset shown in my attachment.
I have tried using Photoshop, Pages, Preview and Open Office and the result is the same. The printer is set to manage output. I am only trying to print one CD list using the custom size of 12.2cm x 12.2cm paper placed in the centre of the printer tray. I am not using the envelope setting.
Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 5K 27" i9 3.6Ghz. 3TB, 8Gb, Vega 48, Sonoma, 15 Pro Max, iPad M1, MBP M1, AppleTV, Watches
Hi Brian Some things to go through here.

First I would turn OFF any printer management settings, it will only muck things up!

Two. Take a look in System Preferences / Printers and Scanners. Go through the settings. Look at Default paper size, is it set to 12.2cm probably not.

Three. In apps (Pages, say) look at the print settings Pages / File /Print Setup and make sure the 12.2cm paper size in correct.

Four. When printing, save paper by using PDF "printer", this save to a file so you can preview before you commit to paper.

Five. In Pages document look to the far top right and select Document, next to Format. Recheck all the paper sizes are in order and margins are correct, I here I think Margins would be zero as would Headers and Footers, there is no spare space on a 12.2cm paper.

Six. Does 12.2cm paper actually fit in the paper tray seems to small. I would print to A4 and trim down.

Note: "Think", You know you are printing on 12.2cm paper, the computer / screen / Pages / printer do not at this moment, you have to tell them all.

Let me (us) know how you get on.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for that Paul. I'll have a go at your list and let you know the results. Brian

OP
B
Reaction score
Paul, I am having trouble still.
1) First of all I can't remember how to turn Printer Management settings off. Remind me please.
2) In System Preferences, it is set to Untitled 122mm x 122mm.
3) In Pages size set OK.
4) PDF printer OK.
5) Pages Format size OK.
6) 12.2cm x 12.2cm paper does fit in the paper tray, it has adjustable sliders to accomodate any size from A4 width down to 8.2cm.
However, the list still prints offset. I can however print it using A5 or A4 setting and then cut to 12.2cm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Admit defeat and print it on A4 then cut out. We rarely win against printers. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Brian. Been out and about for a few hours. Please check you have the latest Epsom drivers v.10.85 or later. Scan driver v.6.4.94.0 Also see if any firmware updates are available to you.

Click  , About This Mac / System Report / Hardware / Printers - Driver Version

Did you reset Margins plus Headers and Footers to = 0 (zero)

Also in Pages make sure the Rulers are on. ( View, Show Rulers ). Look at the "orange" colour indent marker on the ruler.
Note the down pointing arrow, sitting on it is a small bar, Move the "Margins" to the left. Make the Indents and any Tabs zero too.

(Note: To type the Apple logo press, Shift + Option + K)

I will try this also on my equipment soon. My BW laser only goes to A6 size but my Epsom does 3.5" X 5"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Set up the page size here for Pages

File / Page Setup, Click, Paper Size drop down box, and select Manage Custom Sizes

Double click Width and Height and set to 122mm
Double click Untitled and name it “CD Cover”
Select your printer model.
When you are happy select File / Save As Template
This worked for me saving to PDF and then previewing.
I used to make CD covers, front and rear years ago.

Epsom User Guide

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CD Cover 122mm X 122mm

Attachments

• CD Cover.pdf
    10.1 KB · Views: 15
OP
B
Reaction score
Paul, I am sorry, I have done everything you have suggested. All drivers are up to date and I just cannot get it to work. The last attempt was telling me I had not placed a cd properly. Why? I have a copy of the manual and that does not help. In the absence of any other ideas, I think it best to give up. At least I can print to an A5 sheet and cut it down to size. I feel very grateful for your help and sorry to have put you to so much trouble.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.