Printer driver for EPL 5700

Reaction score
I've just discovered that my aged but still completely serviceable Epson EPL5700 laser printer is no longer supported by Epson, and therefore no driver is available either from Epson or Apple. I wonder whether any of you bright people out there have already overcome this problem? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I've just discovered that my aged but still completely serviceable Epson EPL5700 laser printer is no longer supported by Epson, and therefore no driver is available either from Epson or Apple. I wonder whether any of you bright people out there have already overcome this problem? Thanks.

Well, first welcome to the forum! :)

Please provide some information on the Apple computer being used (model/year) and the OS X installed - also, did you recently upgrade your OS to discover that the printer is no longer supported? In addition, give us more specific details on your issue(s).

Also, check the Epson Website HERE to see if there are any appropriate downloads (sorry, if you've already been there) - if all fails, printers are cheap (your cost is buying ink) and get a new one - Dave

OP
J
Reaction score
RadDave, Thanks and apologies for not including the relevant info.

The system is a hot off the press iMac 21.5 2.7GHz Intel Core i5 purchased just weeks ago although dated late 2013. I am running Yosemite.

I'm a newbie to Apple and was previously using the printer on Windows Vista. I guess I made the rather rash assumption that if it was still supported on Windows, it would still be on OS X. The original issue was that there was simply no driver in Apple Software Update or Epson for the printer. I've been in discussion with Epson who sent me email on 10th Nov stating "your EPL-5700 is not supported on your current operating system. There are no current plans to release a driver for your product ..." This statement is particularly interesting in the light of the link you sent me because on 13th Nov, they released driver 7.10 which purported to support the EPL 5700. However, I've not been able to get it working. The best that happens is that the data light on the printer starts flashing and it sometimes starts chuntering but then stops and the data light goes solid.

I have written to them again asking for clarification and/or a working driver. But I'm nearly at the point of buying a new printer although it grieves me that a perfectly functional printer should be consigned to the tip!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
RadDave, Thanks and apologies for not including the relevant info.

The system is a hot off the press iMac 21.5 2.7GHz Intel Core i5 purchased just weeks ago although dated late 2013. I am running Yosemite..................

I have written to them again asking for clarification and/or a working driver. But I'm nearly at the point of buying a new printer although it grieves me that a perfectly functional printer should be consigned to the tip!

Well, if you cannot get the appropriate printer drivers for Yosemite, then there may not be another choice than to obtain a new printer - these machines are cheap (relative to the cost of ink you will eventually pay) and the newer models will have more compatible features, especially relating to networking & wireless setups; SO, I guess my bottom line is to get a new printer if you cannot get the old one to work properly. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.