Printer Cartridges

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Ah, the age-old question: How much do I pay my electric utility for having things powered on all the time vs. ,,,

For my situation and my Canon Pixma MX922, it is an Energy Compliant rated device and only uses (minimum)-1.0 W Power consumption so it is basically just sleeping but needs to have power available so it can receive an occasional FAX when they happen to arrive, so it's certainly not a large electrical user. 😏

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Those of us who purchased printers with multiple trays, for instance, would like to be able to continue to use those multiple trays.

Likewise, it would have helped if a certain owners had read the specs carefully and realized the second tray on their Canon Pixma MX922 only took small restricted sizes of paper and not normal letter or legal size paper!!! ;)

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's nice that when HP orphans your printer that it doesn't become a brick. But there is a big difference between simply being able to print, and having access to all of the advanced features that a printer driver made specifically for your model of printer offers.

I can well understand that someone who owns an HP business type printer (you mentioned advanced features) would be unhappy with HP support with regard to drivers.

What is perplexing about HP and some other printer manufacturers is that they continue to support their hardware for Windows but not for macOS. But that does appear to be changing for some as Mac computers become more popular.

Reaction score
What is perplexing about HP and some other printer manufacturers is that they continue to support their hardware for Windows but not for macOS.

There is some history to the relationship HP has with Apple and their products. When Steve Jobs returned to Apple there was already in place an agreement between HP and Apple for HP to provide their printers to Apple for Apple to OEM under the Apple name. (Like what Canon did for Apple with the early LaserWriters.) Steve didn't like the deal and he yelled at HP and ultimately cancelled the deal.

Ever since, HP has seemed to only begrudgingly support Apple products. I think that Brother saw that there was an opportunity there, and has pursued and supported Macintosh users more aggressively.

But that does appear to be changing for some as Mac computers become more popular.

I think that the whole "Macs are becoming more popular, so X will be different" is a line of reasoning that doesn't comport with the facts.

There were about 94 MILLION Mac users as of 2010, according to industry sources

Number of MAC Users

In 2018 that number surpassed 100 MILLION

I think that Macs have been plenty popular for a long time now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
For my situation and my Canon Pixma MX922, it is an Energy Compliant rated device and only uses (minimum)-1.0 W Power consumption so it is basically just sleeping but needs to have power available so it can receive an occasional FAX when they happen to arrive, so it's certainly not a large electrical user. 😏

- Patrick
=======
Yeah... I certainly don't have data to do a real comparison, but that would be interesting. Tough thing would be determining how much ink is being saved. That would involve a long-term study, comparing new cartridges in two scenarios. No one is going to do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 Mini, 2020 MacBook Air
Color inkjets will put all three colors on top of the black ink, supposedly in the name of quality. This may get you a blacker black in photos, but it's a waste of ink on b&w documents. Check around for the appropriate setting to enable one-cartridge printing - they don't make it obvious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Good tip! I had "Permit Temporary Black Prining" turned off. I clicked to turn that on, so I'll see if a notice a difference in 6-8 months.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.