Preview not showing recently viewed files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' Black MacBook Core Duo 1.25 GB Ram 80GB HD
When I try to open recent files in preview none show up. Even if I open a file and go into the recent files menu it just shows Clear Menu greyed out. I tried looking in Preview prefrences for this but I cant find it. I also tried looking in my Onyx prefrences but there's nothing there either. Any Ideas?

OP
AnthonyJK
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M

MacHeadCase

Hmm. Have you tried emptying your user and system caches using OnyX? I am now used to MainMenu but I guess the OnyX equivalent can be found under Cleaning -> Caches (select all of them and restart).

OP
AnthonyJK
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope, still not working. :( Thank your for your reply though!

M

MacHeadCase

I know there is a setting in the System Preferences, in the Appearance pref pane, where you can set the number of recent items but I think this effects only the Finder.

I tried it the yesterday when I saw your query and it didn't seem to influence Preview. So I'm at a loss if this doesn't work, quite frankly.

Appearance.jpg

Reaction score
When in doubt, toss the plist. Sometimes it even works.

Make sure Preview isn't running, then go into your user's Library folder, then the Preferences folder. Drag the com.apple.Preview.plist (Preview's preferences list) onto the desktop and start Preview. It will create a new plist.

Open a few files with it to build up a Recent list, then see if it's working properly. If it is, trash the old plist. If it isn't, you can put the old plist back or trash it.

OP
AnthonyJK
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jeez this is really bugging me now. None of the tips worked :( Thank you both though. I guess it doesnt REALLY matter... :\

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.