Preview is auto saving changes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Not sure what you are seeing, krs, but when I click on the icon to insert an image, I get this: Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 9.57.19 AM.png

I click on Choose File, the Finder-like window open, find the file then click Upload File. Boom, done. Don't know why you have to go through all that rigamarole. I use "Screenshot" from the Utilities folder to capture images, which defaults to jpg. I do have to resize them sometimes because the board limits to 800x800, but other than that, it's a two step process.

krs

Reaction score
Yes, I would LOVE to do a "save as" in Preview - which is what most apps let you do. But the only choice I have under File dropdown is a "save". And, I'm using El Capitan as you are with the latest OS available to me (OS 10.11.6; Preview vers. 8.1).

We discussed how to get 'Save As...' elsewhere in this forum a while back.
But just quickly....
Go into System Preferences and select Keyboard
In Keyboard select 'shortuts' and 'App Shortcuts' in left panel
Click on "+" and add the name "Save As..." - has to be exactly like this with the three periods, and then enter the key combination Shift-Command-S
That will add the "Save As..." in every Apple app up to Mojave, it may also allow you to revert a change per my screen shot earlier

Save As....jpg

krs

Reaction score
Not sure what you are seeing, krs, but when I click on the icon to insert an image, I get this: View attachment 30637

I click on Choose File, the Finder-like window open, find the file then click Upload File. Boom, done. Don't know why you have to go through all that rigamarole. I use "Screenshot" from the Utilities folder to capture images, which defaults to jpg. I do have to resize them sometimes because the board limits to 800x800, but other than that, it's a two step process.

I get this when I click on the image icon:

Forum Insert Image.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wonder why the difference? I use Safari, pretty straightforward and just did an image capture to get what I posted, so it's current. Maybe the Mods can explain why I get a much easier window to use?

krs

Reaction score
Took me a while to launch Safari for this forum since I had to look up my password first.
But when I use Safari, I get the same window as you.
The previous one was with FireFox, latest version

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't use FF, but Brave pops up the window I posted. Must be something in FF?

krs

Reaction score
I just tried Brave myself - yes, it pops up the window you posted.

I find FF is going down the drain lately - not just with this.
Seems every few years I have to change my default browser, I used to use Safari years ago, then Safari became slow and wouldn't load some websites, tried Chrome for a while until I read about privacy issues, then ran FF for a long time...probably until now.
Problem is that I have so many websites set up for auto-login...I would have to set these up all over again

krs

Reaction score
Well, that last FF hiccup with the image upload window did it.
I decided to take the plunge and move to Brave as my default browser even with all the work to redo auto-log ins.
Trashed everything "Brave Browser" I already had when I was trying it earlier this year - with a fresh download I thought I would at least get the option to import bookmarks from FF.
Turns out Brave did much better than that - it supposedly also imports a bunch of other items including the auto logins.
Worked with this forum - after I made Brave my default browser and clicked on the email link from the forum, I was logged right into the site.

Brave Import Settings.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Not sure what you are seeing, krs, but when I click on the icon to insert an image, I get this: View attachment 30637

I click on Choose File, the Finder-like window open, find the file then click Upload File. Boom, done. ... ...

Just for the record, I get exactly the same "Upload window" as Jake shows in his #21 post, using Mavericks and Google Chrome 67.x.

- Patrick
======

krs

Reaction score
Well Patrick, I see what I posted.

That is what comes up when I click on the "insert image" icon in FireFox.

I just tried Waterfox and it brings up the same image as FireFox.

So it all seems to depends on the browser/rendering engine that is used.
FireFox and a bunch of other browsers use the Gecko and later the Quantum engine, so I would think all those browsers bring up what I posted.

Last edited:
OP
N
Reaction score
AHA! I was complaining because Preview was automatically saving any changes I made to a photo and I did not see an option in my File meant to do a "Save As..." as KRS was mentioning and KRS is using the same OS as I am (ElCapitan) and he had that file option. Well - just today, I decided to look at the Preview Help items and found that "if you don't see a Save As in your file menu - hold down the Option Key when selecting Save" - and a Save As option pops up! How simple - if you know to do it! Now I can save various versions of my changes. After all these years - I'm just now discovering that!

OP
N
Reaction score
I'm just now seeing your reply KRS re inserting an image in the Forum. What a round-about way to do it! One thing I'd really like to see is a HELP menu in this forum. If there is one, I haven't found it. I'm a long-time member, but gave up using it years ago because I couldn't figure out how to navigate in the forum very well. I just started again, and it's pretty confusing for me (Just things like trying to insert an image in a reply - that you just answered for me).

krs

Reaction score
Just things like trying to insert an image in a reply - that you just answered for me.

I got fed up with the way FireFox brings up the window to save an image in this forum (which I had described), so I switched to the Brave browser.
That wasn't the only thing that annoyed me about FireFox, but it was the straw that broke the camel's back.
To be fair, when one runs the W3C validator on the main forum site here, it comes up with 73 coding errors, so it's not really clear if the issue is with FireFox or the forum code.

I also got fed up having to hold the Option key down every time I use "Save As..."; I use that optionpretty much continuously every day when I do any work on the Mac where I manipulate data, so I implemented the simple "fix" to make "Save As..." a standard part of my File option that is there all the time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.