Preventive Maintenance? Replacing Power Supply before it fails?

Reaction score
Northern Minnesota now. Chicago previously
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2010) 2x2.4 GHz Quad-Core Xeon, 12GB, ATI Radeon HD 5870, Wacom Cintiq 24HD touchscreen
Howdy all,

I hope you don’t consider this too weird a question. Until 2010 I was a PC-only user (10’s of personal PC’s over the years). I frequently got bit in the butt by power supplies that failed after 4 to 5 years and they usually took out something on the motherboard when they died.

In 2010 I finally bought a Mac Pro (see details at left) and am in love. Every PC I had left is powered off & collecting dust. The problem is…I could afford bunches of PC’s, I can’t afford bunches of Macs ☺

My Mac is four years old and just last week one of the OEM HDD’s died. So here’s the odd question: Would it be advisable at some point in time to replace the PSU? How about fans? Anything else I should consider?

I value your knowledge on anything Mac.

Merry Christmas (even for non-celebrants!)
- ty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
Who is to say that a new one won't fail? I have a mac mini from 2008 and the origional supply is still going strong. I am a PC convert as well. Love them!

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2010) 2x2.4 GHz Quad-Core Xeon, 12GB, ATI Radeon HD 5870, Wacom Cintiq 24HD touchscreen
Do you run 24/7 or do you, for example, power-off at the end of your day? (as if this may make a difference...who's to say?) :)
- ty

Reaction score
I had a used Blue & White G3 which was built in 1999. When I had it, it ran 24/7.
It was still running when I got rid of it this year. They last a while.

C

chas_m

Broadly speaking, Macs are designed to last. Not every piece (like the HD for example) is under their control, so sometimes things fail (occasionally even the Apple-designed bits fail, but that's fairly rare).

Having said that, Macs are not designed to last forever, either. It's been my observation that most people who have mechanical issues with Macs do so within the first year, and may continue to have trouble after that. This is why I recommend a full AppleCare warranty, since it covers at least half of the useful life of a typical Mac.

On average, at least in my case, I tend to replace my Mac after 3-5 years (this is probably faster than most people) because as my skills grow I find I need more advanced tools. Typical users tend to hold on to their Macs for 5-6 years, and can reasonably expect in that time to have no mechanical issues.

There's no reason to believe that this particular model is going to have a power supply issue, but at the same time I would ask if you have a UPS on the machine, and if not -- why not?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Would it be advisable at some point in time to replace the PSU? How about fans? Anything else I should consider?

If the power supply goes…I don't think that it's going to take something else out with it.

If you REALLY want to be prepared…buy the parts…then you have them when you need them. But even this is being "over the top" prepared. Where do you stop with the extra parts:

- extra power supply?
- extra fans?
- extra ram?
- extra hard drives?
- extra optical drive?
- extra video cards?
- extra logic board?

Really…just "go with the flow".:) The power supply could go "pop" tomorrow…or 10 years from now. If you replaced the power supply now…who's to say the current power supply wouldn't have 5+ or more years left in it.

Have you priced a brand new power supply for a Mac Pro (since purchasing a used one would defeat the purpose in this case)?

New power supplies for Mac Pro's aren't $50-$75 like you might find for a Windows desktop tower. Gonna cost you about $300 bucks for a brand new power supply for a 2010 Mac Pro!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As Nick says don't worry about it. If something is going to happen, it will happen. A hard drive failing has nothing to do with Power Supply. Have used DV Warehouse for parts in my mac Pro days.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for all the input.
a) yes, I always use UPS's (and have a garage full of old UPS batteries :) )
b) $300 for a new PSU isn't unreasonable and far better than having to replace a new MB or something.
- ty

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
b) $300 for a new PSU isn't unreasonable and far better than having to replace a new MB or something.

I can't argue with this...but I'm not seeing the connection.:Confused:

What does replacing a power supply in a 2010 Mac Pro (before it needs replacing)...have to do with replacing a "new MB or something"??:)

Only a 2010 Mac Pro was mentioned in this thread.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What does replacing a power supply in a 2010 Mac Pro (before it needs replacing)...have to do with replacing a "new MB or something"??:)mentioned in this thread.

- Nick

It refers to my original question.
Now I know we're talking Apple hardware here, but this is my FIRST Mac and ALL previous experience has been with tons of PC's. Whenever I've had a PC PSU die, which was frequent, it invariably took out something else too....memory, CPU, or something else on the MBO. :(

I have no previous experience that says "if a mac PSU dies, it's pretty likely everything else will survive." Which is why I'm appreciating the input I receive here!

- ty

Reaction score
honestly depends on which mac pro you have you cannot replace the fans with anything new the apple stock fans are basically all you can use.

however depends on 2 things.

1. is this a powerpc or intel mac pro??

2. is it a 1.1 2.1 etc. to find this out go into the apple menu and select about this macintosh then look at the system report it should say

Mac Pro,1.1

or what ever your model is

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
1. is this a powerpc or intel mac pro??

John: There is no such thing as a PowerPC Mac Pro. All Mac Pro models from the first on have been powered by an Intel processor.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
johnodd4

FYI: my model identifier is MacPro5.1

- ty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
tymixx it is like asking "Do you have a motor car?" Answer "Yes". "Replace the transmission in case it fails"?

When and if will be time enough.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
harryb2448,

For arguments sake...
If I was told that the MTBF for my particular car's transmission was "x" years and I couldn't afford to buy a new car...I'd probably replace the transmission before the MTBF was met. After all, who know what else could break if I'm doing 150kph in my Yugo and my transmission goes out! :)

What I seem to be hearing is that I should trust Apple hardware to last longer than off-the-shelf PC parts AND if a PSU unit fails it "probably" won't kill anything else but itself. Yes?

- ty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes and don't drive at 90 mph. It is not how fast a car can go, what is important is how fast in can STOP!

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Mac Pro 4,1, 2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD startup, 1TB HDD alt startup, 6 & 4TB BU
Do you run 24/7 or do you, for example, power-off at the end of your day? (as if this may make a difference...who's to say?) :)
- ty

I have had numerous pc', macs and sparcstations since late 1970's. My dad sold electronics and said the best thing to do with anything electronic is to put it in a closed and leave it on 24/7/365. I have followed his advice and never once had a P/S fail.

Reaction score
I've owned Macs for 20 years.
Two things which have never failed me: power supplies, and SCSI hard drives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.