Pressing "Esc"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
So, I have been having an issue lately. If the computer is in my log in screen, and I press "Esc", sometimes the screen will go completely black and not respond, other times it will a very dark shade of gray for about 15 seconds, then go black and not respond for about 30 seconds and then it will go back into the log in page. I have never experienced this problem before. I've had this MBP for about 14 months, and if this was a short-cut for something you would think I would have known. I googled it with no success, most likely due to not knowing how to word it as a question. So, is this just a short cut? Why does it go black sometimes, and gray the others? It's not the OS, I just did a clean install 2 days ago and have not loaded my back up yet. I called apple about this 3 days ago, and they said it might be hardware (before it would do this if I opened up, it did it about 5 times in 3 days), but not the "esc" key activates it. So the told me to do a clean install. Now it doesn't do it when opening. Just when I hit "esc". Does anyone have any idea?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone? I need to know if it's just a random short cut or if this requires taking it to a Apple store. The nearest one is about 40 mins, and I can't afford to go there and find out it's just a shortcut key.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Very odd - It's certainly not a shortcut I'm familiar with, and I'd imagine that the lack of responses means noone else has seen this before either. You can always give Apple a call before making the trek - and see what they say.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's what I thought too. I was just getting kind of frustrated to see if has plenty of views and was moving farther and farther down the page, I just didn't know if it was a shortcut. I didn't want to sound stupid!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sorry, but I really don't understand. If you're only issue is what happens when you press the escape key while on the login window and nothing else - seems to me the easy fix - quit pressing the escape key while on the log in window. Don't think I've ever touched that key from that window in 5 years on my Macs now.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Considering that I had this issue before, but without pushing the button, then I think something is wrong. I should also mention that about a year ago, when I first purchased this computer, for about 4 months I had an issue when I would open the computer, the screen would sometimes go blue, log in, and then log back out, and so on and so forth. It just suddenly stopped in January. So I think they may be somehow related. I am in school and can't afford to have something bad happen to this computer. I'd rather get this checked out now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.