PRAM Battery help etc

Reaction score
I have a 2011 MacBook Pro, 17" (bought new in June '11) and need a PRAM Battery..
but which one? There are several models.

Also- what exactly does resetting the PRAM & NVRAM do?

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a 2011 MacBook Pro, 17" (bought new in June '11) and need a PRAM Battery..
but which one? There are several models.

- Why do you think that you need to change your PRAM battery?
- What makes you think that your 17" MacBook Pro has a PRAM battery?

To the best of my knowledge…2011 17" MacBook Pro's have no PRAM battery.

Also- what exactly does resetting the PRAM & NVRAM do?

Google search = About NVRAM and PRAM

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Nick..

Thanks for reply. Over the last year or so I will get the "your clock is set to a date prior to 2008 etc" and other things are behaving funny.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Over the last year or so I will get the "your clock is set to a date prior to 2008 etc" and other things are behaving funny.

Yes…that can be one indication of a weak/dead PRAM battery (if the computer had one). I think for the most part…most Apple laptops from the past few years (probably longer) have not used PRAM batteries. I believe that the technology is a capacitor on the logic board…that retains a charge for (I'm guessing) at least a few minutes while the battery is changed.

But…since Apple (since about 2010 or so) has designed notebooks with the technically non-user replaceable battery's (unlike older models that had the easily swapped out battery)…this capacitor "thing" may or may not still be in place. And even with some older Apple notebooks with the user replaceable battery…many of these didn't use a PRAM battery either.

So…since you are getting this message:

- What sort of condition is your battery in?
- Do you know how many charge cycles it has?
- Have you ever let the computer's battery go completely dead (0% charge)?
- Have you had any "power" issues with this computer?

* Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes…that can be one indication of a weak/dead PRAM battery (if the computer had one). I think for the most part…most Apple laptops from the past few years (probably longer) have not used PRAM batteries. I believe that the technology is a capacitor on the logic board…that retains a charge for (I'm guessing) at least a few minutes while the battery is changed.

But…since Apple (since about 2010 or so) has designed notebooks with the technically non-user replaceable battery's (unlike older models that had the easily swapped out battery)…this capacitor "thing" may or may not still be in place. And even with some older Apple notebooks with the user replaceable battery…many of these didn't use a PRAM battery either.

So…since you are getting this message:

- What sort of condition is your battery in?
- Do you know how many charge cycles it has?
- Have you ever let the computer's battery go completely dead (0% charge)?
- Have you had any "power" issues with this computer?

* Nick

Condition? No idea. My book has been very well taken care of
Cycles: 456
dead/0% charge: yes, it has happened a number of times
Power Issues: No issues….BUT…. display has been acting strange, blacks out, weird resolution lines etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Condition? No idea. My book has been very well taken care of
Cycles: 456
dead/0% charge: yes, it has happened a number of times
Power Issues: No issues….BUT…. display has been acting strange, blacks out, weird resolution lines etc.

The battery charge cycles seem fine.

I'm thinking that if the battery was allowed to go to absolutely dead (not very good for the battery)…this could possibly explain getting that message regarding the time. But this would only happen immediately after the battery going completely dead. It should not do this any other time (as long as the battery has charge remaining)…unless (somehow) the battery got disconnected for a period of time.

Whenever folks have issues related to power (which this time message would indicate)…I always suggest doing a SMC Reset:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

As far as the display problems…maybe the display cable has gotten worn…or is getting pinched when the display is opened & closed.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.