powerPC apps won't start up- help!

Reaction score
I am using osx 10.6.8, on my MacBook Pro and for 2 years i have been running a number of older apps made for powerPC with no problems at all, until yesterday when i used "Monolingual" and , even after reading the manual very carefully, I still managed to delete some essential code in the course of running monolingual's "unneeded architecture elimination" to save disk space. I'm sorry I did that, now all my favorite power pc apps will not start .

Solutions I have tried so far : I reinstalled the Operating system using the install disc for 10.6.3 and then updated to 10.6.8 using SoftwareUpdate. I updated all the relevant software that came up when i ran Software Update, then I also installed the Rosetta that is in the Optional installs on the install disc of 10.6.3. Still no luck. I'd welcome a next step to try. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I would have thought reinstalling the full Monolingual would be the key. ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We have warned folks over and over to avoid "Monolingual" as it only causes problems for certain applications (MS Office for one) and can also interfere with the operating system. Do a clean install of Snow Leopard and install Rosetta. You can not do an update install of Snow Leopard as that will not restore the code that was removed. Only a clean install will accomplish that. That means erasing the hard drive, re-formatting and reinstall. Of course make a Time Machine backup first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And as for avoid - read avoid like the Black Death!

OP
O
Reaction score
Thank you for the clear answer. This was my first post and first day ever on this forum, so I am sorry for not knowing about the warnings over and over about monolingual. I wish I had known. Now i have a whole lot of expense i did not have. before. Wait a second_ are you saying I need to find a disc that has 10.6.8 if i want to do this? That i can't do a clean install of 10.6.3 and then update ? Or will that be good enough. How the **** is monolingual that powerful (and stupid) that it can have its changes persist through a reinstall? the thing is it says in the instructions: don't worrry about power PC apps not working it is smart enough not to delete anything like that. Anyway i know what to do now and i thank you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I still managed to delete some essential code in the course of running monolingual's "unneeded architecture elimination" to save disk space.

This is the specific reason why your PPC apps won't start. What that option does, is it goes through all of your apps and removes PPC-specific code since Monolingual has determined that you're running an Intel Mac.

Reinstalling the OS is not going to help you. What you need to do is restore all of these apps from the backup you made just prior to running Monolingual (you did make a backup, didn't you?).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.