PowerMac G5 Confusion

Reaction score
Hello all!

Quick question. I just ordered 4, 2.7ghz, 2 GB, 250 GB HD, PowerMac G5 Towers for $160 (didn't think it was TOO bad of a deal) but kinda confused. The seller said he purchased this 3 years ago. And can't seem to find a year when this specific model was made. So don't know how valid that statement is. However was just wondering, are these computers still pretty comparable to today's towers? I know they're obviously not the BEST anymore (although I'm under the impression they were during their time), but I remember about 3 years ago having an old iBook and it couldn't even run youtube properly...lol. From the stats alone they seem pretty comparable to today's standards (especially if I upgrade them to 8 GB ram and put a 500 GB HD in them). Bottom line...are they pretty good computers?

Next question: I'm a little bit confused by the "2.7 DC" processor. Im assuming that means 2x 1.35ghz processors. I was just wondering what would be faster? 2x 1.35ghz or let's say 1x 2.0ghz. Basically will it run at 2.7ghz? Or is the "dual core" a gimmick. If they advertise a 2.7 processor you would think they would actually run at 2.7ghz. Last question I researched that the highest compatible OS it will run is leopard. I'm pretty sure these are coming with Tiger (or whatever it originally came with) will installing leopard slow it down, speed it up, or be about the same? Cause all I've ever used is leopard. And lastly, would it be worth it just to buy a leopard disk of eBay and install it on all four towers? Or just "download" ;) the OS, burn it to a DVD and do it myself? Im just a little bit scared of bricking it though :/

Thank you all so much!

Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The last 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac was released in 2005, which bis a lot older than the seller implied. They are duals with 2 x 2.7GHz CPUs but do not think that makes it equal to a 5.4GHz CPU is one existed. With decent memory Leopard OS X.5 will run fine but be aware these are slow, old PowerPC machines and Leopard is as late as they can go.

Leopard, and even the later Intel only Snow Leopard OS X.6 are no longer supported by Apple, so no Security Updates. If you buy a Leopard disc, about $50-70, MAKE SURE it is the black full retail install DVD and do not buy any silver/grey model specific discs, also called by some sellers 'drop-in' discs.

Any so called download of Leopard will be pirating so avoid it like the plague. Quickets way to ruin your machines and piracy is a huge no-no here.

Because of their age and security, adware and malware problems, I would suggest not using these online.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Even though Apple discontinued the Powermac G5 line of computers way back in 2005-2006…I feel that they can still be pretty useful computers. The biggest problem you are going to face is software.

If you need specific software titles (such as from Microsoft or Adobe)…you're going to have to find older versions of these apps..since the newest Mac OS that can be run on a Powermac G5 is 10.5.8 (current Mac OS version is 10.10…5 versions newer).

So if you couple an older computer with older software…then things will run great.:)

Then we get to the internet. They will definitely be able to get on the internet…and they will do "internet surfing" and email fine.:) But as Harry mentioned above…internet security will be a bit more risky than a current Apple computer running newer OS versions. OS 10.5.8 (the newest OS Powermac G5's can run)…is no longer supported by Apple…so no new Security Updates.

Getting 4 of these Powermac G5's for $160 is a pretty good deal. But…if you intend on upgrading them to 8gig of ram…I think that you may be a bit disappointed how much an 8gig of ram upgrade is going to cost for each computer.

Basically…it's often not a good financial idea to upgrade an older computer…since the computer itself continues to lose value over time (depreciate)…while the cost of upgrades for an older computer remain high. The optimal situation is to purchase an older computer almost totally upgraded for how you need it (especially when it comes to ram). Off course you could get lucky…and find inexpensive ram on eBay.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Security is not a big worry of mine. I don't plan on making any kind of purchases or anything "vulnerable" on them. Just gonna use them for surfing and things of that nature. Im sure I could always install anti virus or something. Also you would think with a computers speced at 2.7/2GB/250GB it wouldn't be TOO terrible slow. What I'm honestly considering doing is just running XP on it through bootcamp and just using it as a windows. Thanks for the input though. I'm sure I won't have TOO much trouble finding old software. Like I said it'll be MUCH more useful as an XP computer. And I have some spare ram from the other computers so at bare minimum im gonna run my main at 4Gb ram. Any suggestions?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And I have some spare ram from the other computers so at bare minimum im gonna run my main at 4Gb ram. Any suggestions?

Mac's like Mac-compatible ram. Can't always just "steal" some ram from a Windows computer…and hope it will work in a Mac. Also…I think with the Powermac G5's…you still need to upgrade ram in pairs (same density). Preferably matched pairs.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im sure I could always install anti virus or something.

Running anti-virus on Mac's is a touchy subject. If you want more info…check out some threads in the "Security Awareness" area.

Also remember…with a computer this old (9+ years)…and the fact that the newest OS it can run is 10.5.8. You may find it difficult to find a current AV program that will run on it…or an older AV program that is still being updated to combat current virus/malware/adware/ransomware/etc. threats.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, macOS 10.15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, PowerBook G4, iMac G3/4/5
Security is not a big worry of mine. I don't plan on making any kind of purchases or anything "vulnerable" on them. Just gonna use them for surfing and things of that nature. Im sure I could always install anti virus or something. Also you would think with a computers speced at 2.7/2GB/250GB it wouldn't be TOO terrible slow. What I'm honestly considering doing is just running XP on it through bootcamp and just using it as a windows. Thanks for the input though. I'm sure I won't have TOO much trouble finding old software. Like I said it'll be MUCH more useful as an XP computer. And I have some spare ram from the other computers so at bare minimum im gonna run my main at 4Gb ram. Any suggestions?

The only way to run Windows on one of these is through virtualization, as they don't have the Intel processor needed to run Boot Camp.

Reaction score
you would need a copy of microsoft virtual pc for mac good news easy to find and cheap bad news it only runs xp

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you would need a copy of microsoft virtual pc for mac good news easy to find and cheap bad news it only runs xp

Second bad news...it's probably going to be really slow. At least in my experience...running any Windows virtualization app on non-Intel Mac's was always slow.

But the good news is it works!:) Just not too snappy!;)

Just trying to be honest for the OP.:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

"really slow" is an understatement. "Glacial" used to be the most frequent term used, and that was back when these machines were new!

I'm not gonna say you overpaid for these machines, kentaaa, but you were pretty clearly misled on their age and usefulness. These machines are FAR too out-of-date (not just chronologically but technologically) to be safe on the Internet, and there's no updated anti-malware for them, nor any software still being produced that runs on them.

Running local programs from the era on them should be fine, but beyond that they're boat anchors.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.