PowerMac G4 FW 800 1.25 GHZ needs windows

Reaction score
Can I do this. I dont know if this has an intel processor. I really need windows on this computer. Ive got parallels and XP and I would like to put it on this, but parallels tells me it wont install:Grimmace: . Is there any way to get XP on this machine?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sure, but it isn't Parallels... that's for Intel machines only, you've got a PPC machine. So, you'll need an emulation program like Virtual PC or iEmulator - just don't expect too much from it in terms of performance.

More info here.

OP
Wman
Reaction score
I heard about these emulators, but I need to run things at near native speed. Is that impossible? How do these emulators function?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I heard about these emulators, but I need to run things at near native speed. Is that impossible? How do these emulators function?

That's simply not possible, because you're not using an Intel CPU - the PPC chip must "pretend" to be an Intel/X86 chip - and that emulation layer, even at its most efficient will never be even close to the same speed as a real PC.

On an Intel Mac, it's a completely different story. Sorry to say it, but you'll need to get an Intel Mac if speed is of great concern.

OP
Wman
Reaction score
So should I get iEmulator or VirtualPC. Theyl do until I get my PC up and running or a new mac? Ive seen the price (about 23$) for iEmulator, but how much does VirtualPC cost, or is it free, and where can it be downloaded? I am kind-of leaning towards iEmulator, but which one, in your experience, is better?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Virtual PC is free, but I don't believe Microsoft has any downloads available since it's no longer in production.

OP
Wman
Reaction score
well I of course, have the money for iEmulator. Since its still in production and stuff, is it gonna be any better in any way?

-Thanks for that link eh!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well I of course, have the money for iEmulator. Since its still in production and stuff, is it gonna be any better in any way?

-Thanks for that link eh!

I can't really comment since I've never used it. I've seen Virtual PC 2007 in action many years ago (around 2003?) running Windows Server 2003 and it was impressive for emulation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
VPC was not a free program and the link to Versiontracker is simply for the update. Look at eBay and other auction sites for a copy and then update. It is pretty slow and tedious but it does run and if you can find a copy of 2000 Pro use that rather than XP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.