Powerbook Keyboard Protector

R

roadracr

Has anybody used an iSkin Protouch keyboard protector with the latest G4 PB? (see http://www.iskin.com/protouch_PB1.html)?

I have a hard time believing that this doesn't interfere with basic typing, let alone the illuminated keypad function. However, keyboards do get dirty and wear over time and I would be interested in any reviews out there.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It absolutely doesn't. I love the iSkin. I'd highly recommend it. I've seen it used on a Powerbook and I had one personally on my iBook. Doesn't interfere at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
doesnt' the powerbook loose heat through the keyboard, what about that?
It looks cool, I might buy one depending on the answer to that question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No issue with heat, there is still space round the keyboard, it doesn't seal it completely.

I think the iSkin site used to have a FAQ that answered that question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
thank you schweb!

Yeah I saw that FAQ but I didn't believe it coming from the company that makes them wanted to hear it from somebody who tried it.

OP
R

roadracr

Schweb, I appreciate the advise. I'd still like to hear from a PB user regarding the effect of the iSkin on keyboard illumination.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you don't hear from anyone here, I'd suggest e-mailing the iSkin people. They're very nice and I'm sure would be able to get back to you pretty quick.

OP
R

roadracr

schweb said:
If you don't hear from anyone here, I'd suggest e-mailing the iSkin people. They're very nice and I'm sure would be able to get back to you pretty quick.

Did that earlier today. If/when I get an answer, I'll post it here.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I can't tell you how many times I have spilled things into my iBook's keyboard. I still have to remove some of keys from the last time I spilled some stuff into the keyboard. Jeez!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I never had a problem on my iBook. It's very thin.

Reaction score
schweb said:
I never had a problem on my iBook. It's very thin.

I just got mine today and I love it. They are great to deal with

OP
J

johncpiercy

I just got a Iskin today

So far so good

Feels a little different a first , but then Ive only had my PB for 1 day
anyways

My first Apple , I took the bite

JP :dummy:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" G4 Powerbook & 80g iPod classic
I have one and it has saved my a** with spills at least twice so far. It does not interfere with typing at all, don't know about the illumination though. It does muffle the typing, so if you are traveling and you don't want to clackey clack away on the keys it is perfect.

On that note, I would not suggest leaving it on when putting the PB to sleep. Mine transfers some oils to the screen when closed.

OP
S

sursuciofla

csuazo said:
I have one and it has saved my a** with spills at least twice so far. It does not interfere with typing at all, don't know about the illumination though. It does muffle the typing, so if you are traveling and you don't want to clackey clack away on the keys it is perfect.

On that note, I would not suggest leaving it on when putting the PB to sleep. Mine transfers some oils to the screen when closed.

Buy a shaggymac off ebay or from their website. This should keep the tranfer from happening as well as you can use it to wipe down the screen/palmrest, etc. It is like a shammy for your mac and won't injure it all all. Also the PB has an issue of keys being pressed into the screen when porting it around, since there is virtually no room between the screen and keyboard when closed. The shaggymac or whatever cover you choose provides that separation so the keys never have the opportunity to meet and dirty or even scratch your screen. Believe me, if you carry that thing around alot other than from within your home then this is essential. I have seen firsthand what those keys will do to your screen and it's not pretty. I have seen one where there was like a permanent full keyboard impression on the screen, that sucker would not rub off one bit so it was a definate scratch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" G4 Powerbook & 80g iPod classic
sursuciofla said:
Buy a shaggymac off ebay or from their website. This should keep the tranfer from happening as well as you can use it to wipe down the screen/palmrest, etc. It is like a shammy for your mac and won't injure it all all. Also the PB has an issue of keys being pressed into the screen when porting it around, since there is virtually no room between the screen and keyboard when closed. The shaggymac or whatever cover you choose provides that separation so the keys never have the opportunity to meet and dirty or even scratch your screen. Believe me, if you carry that thing around alot other than from within your home then this is essential. I have seen firsthand what those keys will do to your screen and it's not pretty. I have seen one where there was like a permanent full keyboard impression on the screen, that sucker would not rub off one bit so it was a definate scratch.

I got the RadTech version of that thingy. I do carry my PB with me all over the city. So far so good. I used it first thing to clean off the screen and it's all shiny and new looking. There are also some little clear dots that you can get and attach them beside the little grey feet at the corners of your monitor. They prevent any unintended squeezing of the screen and keyboard, thus, oil and finger gunk transfers. Here is a link for info:

http://www.radtech.us/Products/Wildeepz.aspx

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.