• Welcome to the new Mac-Forums. See News and Community Announcements for more details.

Powerbook Keyboard Protector

R

roadracr

Guest
Has anybody used an iSkin Protouch keyboard protector with the latest G4 PB? (see http://www.iskin.com/protouch_PB1.html)?

I have a hard time believing that this doesn't interfere with basic typing, let alone the illuminated keypad function. However, keyboards do get dirty and wear over time and I would be interested in any reviews out there.

Thanks.
 

schweb


Retired Staff
Joined
Oct 27, 2002
Messages
13,189
Reaction score
348
Points
83
Location
Cleveland, Ohio
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It absolutely doesn't. I love the iSkin. I'd highly recommend it. I've seen it used on a Powerbook and I had one personally on my iBook. Doesn't interfere at all.
 
Joined
Jan 8, 2005
Messages
6,188
Reaction score
254
Points
83
Location
New Jersey
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
doesnt' the powerbook loose heat through the keyboard, what about that?
It looks cool, I might buy one depending on the answer to that question.
 

schweb


Retired Staff
Joined
Oct 27, 2002
Messages
13,189
Reaction score
348
Points
83
Location
Cleveland, Ohio
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
No issue with heat, there is still space round the keyboard, it doesn't seal it completely.

I think the iSkin site used to have a FAQ that answered that question.
 
Joined
Jan 8, 2005
Messages
6,188
Reaction score
254
Points
83
Location
New Jersey
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
thank you schweb!

Yeah I saw that FAQ but I didn't believe it coming from the company that makes them wanted to hear it from somebody who tried it.
 
R

roadracr

Guest
Schweb, I appreciate the advise. I'd still like to hear from a PB user regarding the effect of the iSkin on keyboard illumination.
 

schweb


Retired Staff
Joined
Oct 27, 2002
Messages
13,189
Reaction score
348
Points
83
Location
Cleveland, Ohio
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
If you don't hear from anyone here, I'd suggest e-mailing the iSkin people. They're very nice and I'm sure would be able to get back to you pretty quick.
 
R

roadracr

Guest
schweb said:
If you don't hear from anyone here, I'd suggest e-mailing the iSkin people. They're very nice and I'm sure would be able to get back to you pretty quick.

Did that earlier today. If/when I get an answer, I'll post it here.
 

iWhat

,
Retired Staff
Joined
Nov 11, 2004
Messages
5,736
Reaction score
164
Points
63
Location
Toledo, Ohio
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I can't tell you how many times I have spilled things into my iBook's keyboard. I still have to remove some of keys from the last time I spilled some stuff into the keyboard. Jeez!
 

schweb


Retired Staff
Joined
Oct 27, 2002
Messages
13,189
Reaction score
348
Points
83
Location
Cleveland, Ohio
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yes you can.
 

schweb


Retired Staff
Joined
Oct 27, 2002
Messages
13,189
Reaction score
348
Points
83
Location
Cleveland, Ohio
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I never had a problem on my iBook. It's very thin.
 
J

johncpiercy

Guest
I just got a Iskin today

So far so good

Feels a little different a first , but then Ive only had my PB for 1 day
anyways

My first Apple , I took the bite

JP :dummy:
 
Joined
Oct 1, 2004
Messages
55
Reaction score
0
Points
6
Location
Santa Fe, NM
Your Mac's Specs
12" G4 Powerbook & 80g iPod classic
I have one and it has saved my a** with spills at least twice so far. It does not interfere with typing at all, don't know about the illumination though. It does muffle the typing, so if you are traveling and you don't want to clackey clack away on the keys it is perfect.

On that note, I would not suggest leaving it on when putting the PB to sleep. Mine transfers some oils to the screen when closed.
 
S

sursuciofla

Guest
csuazo said:
I have one and it has saved my a** with spills at least twice so far. It does not interfere with typing at all, don't know about the illumination though. It does muffle the typing, so if you are traveling and you don't want to clackey clack away on the keys it is perfect.

On that note, I would not suggest leaving it on when putting the PB to sleep. Mine transfers some oils to the screen when closed.
Buy a shaggymac off ebay or from their website. This should keep the tranfer from happening as well as you can use it to wipe down the screen/palmrest, etc. It is like a shammy for your mac and won't injure it all all. Also the PB has an issue of keys being pressed into the screen when porting it around, since there is virtually no room between the screen and keyboard when closed. The shaggymac or whatever cover you choose provides that separation so the keys never have the opportunity to meet and dirty or even scratch your screen. Believe me, if you carry that thing around alot other than from within your home then this is essential. I have seen firsthand what those keys will do to your screen and it's not pretty. I have seen one where there was like a permanent full keyboard impression on the screen, that sucker would not rub off one bit so it was a definate scratch.
 
Joined
Oct 1, 2004
Messages
55
Reaction score
0
Points
6
Location
Santa Fe, NM
Your Mac's Specs
12" G4 Powerbook & 80g iPod classic
sursuciofla said:
Buy a shaggymac off ebay or from their website. This should keep the tranfer from happening as well as you can use it to wipe down the screen/palmrest, etc. It is like a shammy for your mac and won't injure it all all. Also the PB has an issue of keys being pressed into the screen when porting it around, since there is virtually no room between the screen and keyboard when closed. The shaggymac or whatever cover you choose provides that separation so the keys never have the opportunity to meet and dirty or even scratch your screen. Believe me, if you carry that thing around alot other than from within your home then this is essential. I have seen firsthand what those keys will do to your screen and it's not pretty. I have seen one where there was like a permanent full keyboard impression on the screen, that sucker would not rub off one bit so it was a definate scratch.

I got the RadTech version of that thingy. I do carry my PB with me all over the city. So far so good. I used it first thing to clean off the screen and it's all shiny and new looking. There are also some little clear dots that you can get and attach them beside the little grey feet at the corners of your monitor. They prevent any unintended squeezing of the screen and keyboard, thus, oil and finger gunk transfers. Here is a link for info:

http://www.radtech.us/Products/Wildeepz.aspx
 
Top