Powerbook keyboard issue

J

JazzTrpt

I accidentally popped off the left shift key on my 15" AlBook. Nothing broke and I know it snaps back on somehow but I can't get it back on...this one's more complex than the iBook keys. Can anyone tell me how to get it back on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I did the same thing on an old pc keyboard, it clicked back in place after trying several angles

OP
J

JazzTrpt

witeshark said:
I did the same thing on an old pc keyboard, it clicked back in place after trying several angles

I've fixed them before too, but this model is really hard lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
JazzTrpt said:
I've fixed them before too, but this model is really hard lol
Yeah, I imagine the working space a tad tight ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
JazzTrpt said:
I accidentally popped off the left shift key on my 15" AlBook. Nothing broke and I know it snaps back on somehow but I can't get it back on...this one's more complex than the iBook keys. Can anyone tell me how to get it back on?

If for some reason you can't figure it out, you could try taking it to your local Apple Store (if you have one that's local) to see if they can help. They might do it for free, and it would be better than forcing it and having it break.

OP
J

JazzTrpt

Padawan said:
If for some reason you can't figure it out, you could try taking it to your local Apple Store (if you have one that's local) to see if they can help. They might do it for free, and it would be better than forcing it and having it break.

Thanks for the suggestion...it's what I was thinking of doing anyway, but the nearest Apple Store is about an hour and a half away. If I can't get it on without forcing it, I'll just have to wait til I can get to the store. I can't believe how much I use this dumb left shift key!!!

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Oops. You broke it.
Yes, it's broken. You need a whole new keyboard now. My 2 year old brother popped almost all the keys off, some broke. The ones that were not broken popped right on, but the Apple Store guy said that the ones I couldn't get back on were broken.
Too bad. :(

OP
J

JazzTrpt

Absolute Zero said:
Oops. You broke it.
Yes, it's broken. You need a whole new keyboard now. My 2 year old brother popped almost all the keys off, some broke. The ones that were not broken popped right on, but the Apple Store guy said that the ones I couldn't get back on were broken.
Too bad. :(

I've looked at the parts and it's definitely not broken.

Reaction score
If it doesn't look broke, chances are it isn't. My right-shift key came off a while back, and it took some time, but I did get it back on. Really take a look at how it goes on, and you'll probably be able to figure it out. My problem was that I was use to putting on PC keys, and figured I could just push the key back on. It isn't like that. I ended up bending a small metal hook that made the whole process much more difficult. When I finally got out a little flashlight and really took a look at how it worked, I was able to bend the small hook (on the laptop itself, not the key) back to where it should be, set the key in place, and give it a little twist. Honestly took about 30 minutes or so. I remeber I used a bent paperclip to help guide the key into place. Anyways, I don't know if this helps or not. At least, if it doesn't look broke, I'd guess that you could still get it on without taking it in.

maikutis

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
JazzTrpt said:
I've looked at the parts and it's definitely not broken.
It don't have to look broken.

OP
J

JazzTrpt

maikutis said:
If it doesn't look broke, chances are it isn't. My right-shift key came off a while back, and it took some time, but I did get it back on. Really take a look at how it goes on, and you'll probably be able to figure it out. My problem was that I was use to putting on PC keys, and figured I could just push the key back on. It isn't like that. I ended up bending a small metal hook that made the whole process much more difficult. When I finally got out a little flashlight and really took a look at how it worked, I was able to bend the small hook (on the laptop itself, not the key) back to where it should be, set the key in place, and give it a little twist. Honestly took about 30 minutes or so. I remeber I used a bent paperclip to help guide the key into place. Anyways, I don't know if this helps or not. At least, if it doesn't look broke, I'd guess that you could still get it on without taking it in.

maikutis

thanks for the help...I'll check it out

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.