Powerbook G4 only boot safe mode

Reaction score
Hello i have powerbook g4 with cpu 1.25ghz. I use to have mac os4.1.1 installed. Lately had freexing problem and as it was a very old install i tried a fresch install. I downloed os as i lost my original dvd. Tried 10.4.3. Install go fine but never start when it finish. Only in safe mode will start. What could i check?please help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Take it you actually mean OS 9.1.1. You cannot install OS X unless you have updated firmware, and even then checking the hard drive and Apple Hardware Test is not possible without that original DVD. And do not download OS X as that is pirating and may well contain all sorts of nasties.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/ht1395

OP
S
Reaction score
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Take it you actually mean OS 9.1.1. You cannot install OS X unless you have updated firmware, and even then checking the hard drive and Apple Hardware Test is not possible without that original DVD. And do not download OS X as that is pirating and may well contain all sorts of nasties.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/ht1395
well actually i meant 10.4.1.1. that is the os was installed for ages on it
i am trying to renistall the same downloaded but after install it only start in safe mode
do you thin i should go for 9.1.1?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No. Suggest you get a retail version of OS X.4 Tiger, a black disc. Be very wary about illegally downloaded software. Your problem is you need to Repair Disk and you cannot repair a hard drive you are booted from. That would only be a starting point as booting in Safe Mode could well mean other hardware problems such as graphics, memory etc. This is what you are looking for:-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-OS-X-Tiger-10-4-XCode-2-Install-DVD-ONLY-99-/291395754635

OP
S
Reaction score
i have tried different tiger but i have same problem with all
i suspect an hardware problem. before buy want to make sure powerbook is correctly working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need Apple Hardware Test that was on the DVD that came with the computer alas.

OP
S
Reaction score
i know but i haven't.i tried to change the ram and still problem. disk verify is correct. all other parts cannot be changed i think. that's the problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
S
Reaction score
no it is not a matter of user. what happen is that when it finish the fresh install(with disk initialized) at 1 run it will not boot. So i cannot create the user. If i reboot in safemode at the end of install then i can complete the procedure and create the user

in safe mode software and some hardware it is not loaded, that is why i suspect hardware problem

OP
S
Reaction score
may be overheating problem?is there a control of temneperature that is not checked in safe mode?.i am experiencing that after hours wuth no battery and not ac it start normally for a few time

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I downloed os as i lost my original dvd. Tried 10.4.3. Install go fine but never start when it finish. Only in safe mode will start. What could i check?please help

OS 10.4 was NEVER a downloadable OS version. So if you downloaded this…it is not legal. And besides not being legal…the file/installer could be messed up…causing the problems.

Get some original genuine install disks…and do the install. The if you still have problems we can work on it.:)

There's no point in us trying to troubleshoot a problem…where an illegally downloaded copy of the OS was obtained…and could very well been modified causing the install problems. And if there is a problem with the illegal installer…we could suggest things for a month…and never get anywhere.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no it is not a matter of user. what happen is that when it finish the fresh install(with disk initialized) at 1 run it will not boot. So i cannot create the user. If i reboot in safemode at the end of install then i can complete the procedure and create the user

in safe mode software and some hardware it is not loaded, that is why i suspect hardware problem

I'd suggest you heed and follow Nick's suggestion, and if you can actually boot into Safe Boot Mode, you may want to re-think your last statement above.

If the conflicting software doesn't get loaded…

OP
S
Reaction score
i am almost sure it is a metter of fan

when the apple get hot it will not start but in safe

i have dismounted and after spraying the 2 fan i have this

the left fan i can see spinning

the right fan only have a start of a spinning now and then.like little i mpulse and stop.

there could be a problem with the fan control system?or temperature control system?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"… there could be a problem with the fan control system?or temperature control system?"

Using an SMC reset could possibly fix that problem if it's a software problem, but it sounds like the fan or power source is kaput: :(
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.