Powerbook G4 Circa 2002

Reaction score
Hello from a rainy London!

I have a lovely solid macbook G4 prob about 8/9 years old - that ran really well until today it just wouldn't boot up. I've tried doing many things via you tube videos but to no avail. I only want to use it for the internet and word. Are there any lovers of old skool mac laptops out there who can guide me through getting it started again? I have a picture of the screen that comes up - a black screen with old school basic white font with lines of computer gumf.

Would be great to hear from anyone who can help. Perhaps we could skype?

Thanks!
kckc
Apologies if this is in the incorrect forum space?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Unfortunately, that image is not of sufficient resolution to determine what it says. Perhaps you could submit another where you get just the screen in the shot (and turn the camera sideways).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a lovely solid macbook G4 prob about 8/9 years old -

First some technical things to clear up. It's not a MacBook G4…but a Powerbook G4 (like the thread title mentioned).:) It looks like it's a 12" model…and it's probably from the 2003-2006 timeframe (depending on the exact model).

...that ran really well until today it just wouldn't boot up.

This is the way most things operate. They work…until they don't work!;)

I've tried doing many things via you tube videos but to no avail.

What specifically have you tried?…so we don't use up a bunch of good oxygen suggesting them again.;)

Also one question…have you done anything recently to it…like:

- installed a new/different hard drive
- did something with the ram
- reinstalled the OS
- installed new applications
- dropped the computer
- spilled liquid on the computer
- had any electrical surges
- had any thunder/lightning storms

* Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@kckc. Please don't triple crosspost. Posting in just one area is all that is necessary.:) It only complicates things…which is how your image got lost on the process of cleaning up the thread.

Please repost your photo if you would like.:)

Also…thread moved to better location.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
I was in the process of replying when the original thread disappeared ...

However, my original reply just contained the same sort of advice as above.

Your screenshot was unreadable so please either post the text from the kernel panic (that's what it's called) or a better photo for diagnosis purposes.

Also as said above, tell us about any hardware or software changes before the PowerBook stopped booting properly, and what version of OS X you are running.

You might notice that I'm not far away from you.

Cheers :)

Hugh

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was in the process of replying when the original thread disappeared ...

Sorry about that.:) I was in the process of cleaning things up. One of the hazards when a thread is triple posted!:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wasn't a complaint mate :) you just carry on tidying up.

It's probably a thankless job but much appreciated by us lower beings.

Hugh

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wasn't a complaint mate :) you just carry on tidying up.

I was apologizing since I'm guessing that you may have been right in the middle of a really helpful reply...and when the thread was moved/deleted...you may have had to start over from the beginning.:(

I hate when that happens...so I know the pain!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
K
Reaction score
Thank you to all those that have taken the time to reply and apologies for cross posting - I was a tad confused as to where to post, thanks for 'sorting' mate!

Yes its a Powerbook G4 - What a blimin solid machine!

I get the black screen after pressing - APPLE with S then THE POWER BUTTON.
I did this after watching a you tube video however the instructions in the video dont work for me - eeek!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvlkXNSmRmo
NEW PICS ATTACHED

So the other option is just to press the POWER BUTTON. This brings up a white screen with the apple in the middle and a turning circle. It then shuts down and tries again and so on and so forth.

Nick to answer your questions:

- installed a new/different hard drive - NO
- did something with the ram - NO
- reinstalled the OS - NO
- installed new applications NO
- dropped the computer - NO
- spilled liquid on the computer - NO
- had any electrical surges - NO
- had any thunder/lightning storms - YES but it wasn't on then!

To be honest I'm open to trying anything on it as I've got everything to gain to see what happens?

Re thunderstorms - it was hail stoning last week and bucketting down for about half an hour then in typical british weather style the sun came out in full force....this is why us Brits are always talking about the weather!

Hugh - What do you mean you're not far away from me?!

kckc

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you to all those that have taken the time to reply and apologies for cross posting - I was a tad confused as to where to post, thanks for 'sorting' mate!

No problems...it happens.:)

So the other option is just to press the POWER BUTTON. This brings up a white screen with the apple in the middle and a turning circle. It then shuts down and tries again and so on and so forth.

This is the info we needed. All that "mumbo-jumbo" with the black screen was just confusing things (or at least confusing me).;)

My guess is your hard drive has died...especially on an older computer like this. Hopefully you have everything important backed up.

- You could try booting the computer from a bootable OS install disk.
- Or if you had this computer since new...you could try booting it from one of the gray disks that came with it.

If this is a possibility (boot from a CD/DVD)...you could then launch Disk Utility...and try to repair the disk.

Another possibility is to boot the computer from an external hard drive (with a compatible OS installed on it). If this is successful...this would tell you that the computer itself is fine...and indeed...the computers internal HD is the problem.

If repairing the internal HD via Disk Utility doesn't work. Then the HD may be dead & gone...and you need a new HD. And if you need a new HD & don't have an OS install disk...then you're going to need to purchase one.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hugh - What do you mean you're not far away from me?!
kckc

You in London, me in Norf Kent !!

By the way, I have to agree, your hard drive is probably shot.

Which version of OS X is installed, and have you the discs?

Edit: forget the above, I can see you are on Leopard from the screenshot mentioning Time Machine :)

Hugh

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi Guys
Thanks for the replies. Ok so the next step is to get a start up disk, The box is empty alas! Though I found a manual stating its Tiger Mac OS X v 10.4.

I've googled everywhere to get this start up disk - I'm putting in Powerbook G4 start up disk - or do you have one or know man that does?

Have a fab weekend.
kc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just out of interest, what model number does it say underneath - should say A10** or A11** - whatever it is it should be capable of running 10.5 Leopard from the hard drive size.

The reason I said I live close to you is that I may be able to help out with a disc, but you'll need to send me a PM for better contact, locations etc.

Hugh

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If it is a G4 it will not run Snow Leoprd - Intel only.

Really a G4 is getting too old to use especially on the 'net. No security updates for yonks especially for Tiger OS X.4 and Leopard OS X.5. Great for kids games etc.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Guys
Thanks for the replies. Ok so the next step is to get a start up disk, The box is empty alas! Though I found a manual stating its Tiger Mac OS X v 10.4.

I've googled everywhere to get this start up disk - I'm putting in Powerbook G4 start up disk - or do you have one or know man that does?

Computers of this vintage when they came from Apple new…came with a 2 disk set that was gray-colored. You DON'T want to try & source these…because they are model specific..and they are not labeled specifically enough to find the exact set you would need for your model computer.

You NEED to source retail OS install disks (disks that Apple would have sold to folks separately). Since we don't know the exact model Powerbook G4 you have…it could run as high as OS 10.5.8…but more than likely you want to run OS 10.4 (Tiger). Best place to source disks would be eBay.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Harry, I've corrected my schoolboy error :D

It was 10.5 Leopard I meant all along - must have Snow on the brain

Hugh

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks Hugh and Harry
I think the G4 is great to use for basic stuff which is what I used it for.
High perhaps we could meet in a mac store and use your disks, Im sure we'll get some odd looks esp from the young crowd!
kc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have sent you a PM ...

Hugh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.