PowerBook G3 and installing a Linux Distro

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am new to these forums. First off, I'd like to say that yes, I am a hardcore PC guru, but I got some PowerBook G3's and some older laptops at a school auction and I'd LOVE to learn more about Mac's for personal reason and possibly for work reasons. So I hope you will give me a chance. Personally I have no bias. I'm the same way with Intel/AMD and ATI/Nvidia.

Anyway, The PB G3's are in good condition. I have two G3's and only one floppy/battery/CD-ROM drive/power adapter for both. Both have around 2GB HD's.
Both laptop HDs have been wiped clean with a data destruction program. Therefore, MacOS is not installed and I don't have a MacOS CD for the systems. I have been researching how to install a distro of Linux on to the G3's. All the guides I see say to press and hold C while the system powers on after hearing the Apple sound. I have the Linux CD in the CD drive and I hear the drive spin up but never see it read. I have tried this on both, but the only thing I can get is a flashing question mark in a floppy disk. I have tried Ubuntu 7.04 and Yellow Dog Linux 5.01, both for PowerPC arch.

Can anyone give me any assistance?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.