Power Mac G5 Display question

Reaction score
I was just given a power mac G5 and the video card has both a ADC and a DVI port. It didn't come with a monitor, but I have a Dell DVI monitor laying around, and wanted to use it. Here's the problem, I hear is trying to start, but with the monitor plugged in I get no display. Being pretty New to Mac's I am assuming that it defaults to the ADC port as monitor one. is there a way to make it use the DVI port as monitor one or in this case, the only monitor?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Being pretty New to Mac's I am assuming that it defaults to the ADC port as monitor one.

Not true...either port on that video card can be used independently. If you're not getting any video via the DVI port...the issue is probably somewhere else.

Although it is possible that the DVI port on the video card could be dead...but not getting any video via the DVI port has nothing to do with "defaulting" to the ADC port.

Have you tried removing the video card, and reinserting it? Maybe the card got dislodged in someway.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
Have you tried removing the video card, and reinserting it? Maybe the card got dislodged in someway.

I have not tried that yet. at least I know what I am dealing with now. I am not even sure that the system is working, it was a DoD contract refresh, so it had no hard drive. with a little luck it is just that the card came loose. we shall see.

thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have not tried that yet. at least I know what I am dealing with now. I am not even sure that the system is working, it was a DoD contract refresh, so it had no hard drive. with a little luck it is just that the card came loose. we shall see.

thanks.

Hopefully it's just a loose card. But if reseating it doesn't help...there is still the possibility that the DVI port is dead...or of course something else is wrong...especially since you mentioned it's "former life" & condition you got it in.

What were you lead to believe (as far as it's condition when you bought it)? Working (just missing the HD)..."as is"...or a parts unit?

Good luck,:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.