Power Mac G4 [mirrored doors]hardware

Reaction score
Was given this Mac recently by someone who never used it. Also knew nothing about it. Am looking for basic info..as machine is missing cages for drives, and I know nothing about Macs.
Decided to edit this post rather than make another. The 2nd reply seems to fit the machine. I collect legacy hardware so all those negatives not so much for me. I'm looking for basic info on how it worked [like do the mirrored doors come off when you have an optical drive in it?
As to it being obsolete, I'm 68 and would probs be considered likewise..still use XP too. Many others on web actually say these are pretty good still..I just need info,as someone removed parts. Any help accepted. Thanks
Can't even try to boot it 'til I get cages,etc. Is the dual 1.25 model#8570 2002
Appears to be o.k. inside otherwise.
If you don't deal with old machines, is there a site that does?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Hello snakewoman, welcome to the Forum.

We are going to need a little bit more information about the machine before anyone can make decisions on it.

Information such as: Model and year of machine. Software installed. Amount of RAM etc, etc,

C

chas_m

I can fill some of that in for snakewoman: this is probably the "Mirrored Drive Doors" G4 tower originally released in mid-2002 and replaced just six months later. It has a dual 1.25GHz G4 processor on a 300-pin daughtercard, and can handle up to 2GB of RAM (max). It can handle OS X 10.5.8 (max).

I don't want to sound in any way dismissive about this, but this machine is really way too old to be put to much practical use anymore. It is very limited in modern use, as any nearly 14-year-old computer would be, but in particular is unsafe to put online due to limitations of RAM, video card, OS version it can handle and several other factors. If it actually still works and boots, you could possibly use it to run some old software offline (if you can find it), but the odds of this are low, and little of it would be compatible with modern stuff in any way. It can't be upgraded sufficiently to really help make it less than hopelessly obsolete.

Presuming you had contemporaneous software that went with it, it could be useful for someone who doesn't need Internet -- it can still be used for email, but is unsafe for web browsing -- or as a dedicated machine for a particular piece of software like an old, old copy of Microsoft Office. Bottom line here is that it's pretty useless and unsuitable for any modern purpose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, macOS 10.15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, PowerBook G4, iMac G3/4/5
I have a couple of the same machine. I like vintage computer stuff...

The mirrored doors stay in place, the drawer of the optical drive pushes them open from behind. The stock config was one optical in the upper drive bay with room for a second below it.

One of my MDDs has a dead power supply, so I could be interested in parting with bits from it, like the drive cages. PM me and we can discuss it.

Trevor

Was given this Mac recently by someone who never used it. Also knew nothing about it. Am looking for basic info..as machine is missing cages for drives, and I know nothing about Macs.
Decided to edit this post rather than make another. The 2nd reply seems to fit the machine. I collect legacy hardware so all those negatives not so much for me. I'm looking for basic info on how it worked [like do the mirrored doors come off when you have an optical drive in it?
As to it being obsolete, I'm 68 and would probs be considered likewise..still use XP too. Many others on web actually say these are pretty good still..I just need info,as someone removed parts. Any help accepted. Thanks
Can't even try to boot it 'til I get cages,etc. Is the dual 1.25 model#8570 2002
Appears to be o.k. inside otherwise.
If you don't deal with old machines, is there a site that does?

OP
S
Reaction score
Can't edit this again, but I have discovered that machine has the firewire 800 port too..so if the hard drive is N/G..does any one know what install cd/dvd came with this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The FW800 model originally came with Jagaur OS X.2.3. The final OS is Leopard OS X.5 and it can run a massive 2GB of memory.

OP
S
Reaction score
Power Mac G4 Software Install ssw ver. 9.0.4 CD ver. 2.2 (691-2800-A)
Is this above a valid option for the machine? If not, any idea where to get an install disk? Apple does not carry any that old and I may not have a working hard drive in this machine..first exposure to Mac..given this one..as is.

C

chas_m

Can I please suggest you NOT make this your first exposure to Macs/Apple?

This is akin to me moving out of my condo and buying a house with no indoor plumbing or electricity (or a functioning roof) and saying "well, it's my first exposure to home ownership ..."

Would any sane person say to me, "want to check out Windows? Buy a 14-year-old PC and *drink it in, buddy!*" :)

OP
S
Reaction score
2 things here..I'm into rehabbing legacy machines #1 and on a retiree money it's not like I can run out & buy the latest & fastest. Still have XP as Windows. Not everything old is junk. Do thank the folks who have responded with helpful advice here.

C

chas_m

2 things here..I'm into rehabbing legacy machines #1 and on a retiree money it's not like I can run out & buy the latest & fastest.

I'm not a retiree and definitely can't buy the latest and fastest -- but that doesn't mean I ignore the security dangers and obsolescence ... rehabbing can be a fun hobby but one should be aware of the issues and limitations.

Still have XP as Windows. Not everything old is junk.

That is. And probably loaded with viruses, spyware and zombieware, whether you think so or not. For the same reason I don't suggest putting at 14-year-old Mac online.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I still challenge you Chas or anyone else to show me ONE true Self Installing Self Replicating True virus on any version of OSX! There are at best a FEW pieces of Malware and you have to be very lax to get them in the first place.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you..just pm-ed some same words. Didn't think Unix-based OS got viruses either. Also from what I have read all sorts of folks out there are running a lot older systems than XP by choice. There are massive sites devoted to systems going back to the earliest pc, linux & mac OS.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Chas is 100% correct on Windows XP though. It's no longer updated but in widespread use and really targeted as it's an open door. I love messing with the older Macs though and besides very slow on todays web, still enjoy messing with them.

OP
S
Reaction score
Never implied that XP did not have drawbacks..do have to stay on top of it..but do not have anything on my machines. Mainly interested in finding out software for G4 that I was given so any help, especially not hugely expensive, as not 100% sure on G4's hardware condition yet, greatly needed. Thanks.

OP
S
Reaction score
OS X 10.4 Tiger (Retail) (1 User/s) - Full Version for Mac M9639ZA #221971082368.
Anyone know if this is a full install or an update?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X 10.4 Tiger (Retail) (1 User/s) - Full Version for Mac M9639ZA #221971082368.
Anyone know if this is a full install or an update?

Where did you find this? Ebay? if so what is the URL so we can check?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do let us know what you end up doing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.