Power Button does not put computer to sleep

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini Late 2014, OS 11.2.3, 2.6GB i5, 16GB ram, 1TB HDD
My power button does not put my new Mac mini to Sleep. I read in an Apple support forum for Yosemite that in Energy Saver prefs, there should be the following option:
"Allow power button to put computer to sleep", but that option is not there.
I installed Onyx to see if it could change the parameter, but Onyx doesn't have that option either.
Any ideas?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't remember ever seeing that option in Energy Saver.

Can't just tap the power button.
Hold the power button until you see the options and then release it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Agree with bobtomay ~ not in my iMac System Preferences. Set it up to sleep after 15 minutes does me.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't remember ever seeing that option in Energy Saver.

Can't just tap the power button.
Hold the power button until you see the options and then release it.

That worked. Might be faster to just click the Apple menu and choose Sleep.

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also experienced some fluky behavior such as: the Hot Corner I set to show Desktop stopped showing the Desktop, F11 didn't show it either, I couldn't right-click anymore on some websites where I had been using right-click successfully before on 3 different browsers. I didn't want to search for lots of needles in the haystacks so I trashed all the preferences in my user Library. Voila! All the flukes disappeared and I am now able to sleep the computer by tapping the power button. Sure I had to again select the preferences that I trashed, but it was worth it.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
"Allow power button to put computer to sleep"—yes, that function did definitely exist, but not since Lion or more likely, Mountain Lion. It was removed in Mavericks.

So, doodle, you're not wrong, just a few OSs out of date. But you have the solution as detailed above. In addition to Apple Icon>sleep; you could choose use the keyboard—alt+cmd+eject.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The Energy Saver option allow power button to put the computer to sleep was definitely still available and Apple says should be still in Yosemite but with a catch — only if you have a portable Mac.

OS X Yosemite: Energy Saver preferences
OS X Mavericks: Energy Saver preferences

At lest that's the Apple theory… ;)

EDIT:

I think I need to correct my self, and using the Power Button on most Macs, Mavericks and Yosemite included, should still work except it needs a short hold to work. Just a quick poke won't work.

1-2+ second hold = sleep
3-5+ second hold = dialog
8-12+ second hold = force shut down

Give or take maybe a few seconds or two either way of the times shown, should work.

Last edited:
OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Button on most Macs, Mavericks and Yosemite included, should still work except it needs a short hold to work. Just a quick poke won't work.

1-2+ second hold = sleep
3-5+ second hold = dialog
8-12+ second hold = force shut down

Give or take maybe a few seconds or two either way of the times shown, should work.

That's how it works for me too :Sleeping:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
That's how it works for me too :Sleeping:

I guess Apple removed the "Allow power button to put computer to sleep" option as I just checked a client's old eMac PPC running 10.5.8 I've been fixing and it's sure there under the Energy Saver Options.

Too bad they don't update their kb articles properly.

PS: How are you coping with the snow and cold where you are. And I won't dare mention the mild weather we're experiencing lately, but I really feel sorry for you easterners. ;)

Keep safe and warm.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess Apple removed the "Allow power button to put computer to sleep" option as I just checked a client's old eMac PPC running 10.5.8 I've been fixing and it's sure there under the Energy Saver Options.

I always pushed the power button on my old Mini while getting up quickly, sort of a drive-by tap. Just a little touch did it.

Too bad they don't update their kb articles properly.

No we just have to fool around with our stuff and stumble upon a function or fix.

PS: How are you coping with the snow and cold where you are. And I won't dare mention the mild weather we're experiencing lately, but I really feel sorry for you easterners. ;)

I just popped up my dashboard and its 56 Fahrenheit, no wait, it's still on the default location, Cupertino. Ha ha it's -5 here. Thank God for dual-pane insulated windows and flannels.

Keep safe and warm.

That's what I was shootin' for. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.