Potential New Mac User

S

Skatta

Hello evey one!

I am hoping to buy a Mac (Power Book G4) this summer, but before I do so I have a few questions...

Does Mac OS X ship with an office suit?

Is it possible to play avi (divx/xvid) movies in Mac OS X, if so what software is recomended?

When will the latest Power Book be released?

When Mac OS X Tiger is released will the Power Books ship with it pre-installed?

Many thanks in advance,

O

OP
D

Desolate One

It shipps with AppleWorks which is compatible w/ MSOffice. I've never had a problem w/ it.

Yes, I personally use VLC but there are a lot of people that would recommend MPlayer.

They just released one, so you're good to pick one up now.

Not initially. They'll phase out all the Panther loaded books first.

Welcome aboard! :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Does Mac OS X ship with an office suit?
-I'm fairly certain Tiger will come with AppleWorks that will be very comparable to MS Office
Is it possible to play avi (divx/xvid) movies in Mac OS X, if so what software is recomended?
-Quicktime will play alot of the movies, also use VLC and MPlayer (free @ versiontracker.com)
When will the latest Power Book be released?
When Mac OS X Tiger is released will the Power Books ship with it pre-installed?
-I don't think there'll be another for a while since the most recent (1.67GHz) and once Tiger's out they should come pre-installed.

Curses, Desolate One! :mad: ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Most of your questions have already been well covered, but I'd like to add one thing about your office suite inquiry. While all of Apple's "consumer" machines ship with AppleWorks (now called iWork), the PowerBooks and PowerMacs do not. You will need to purchase a suite seperately if you go with a PowerBook. Also, if you purchase a PowerBook after Tiger has been released (or shortly before it is released) you will almost certainly receive a certificate from Apple entitling you to either a free (if you buy the PB after Tiger is released) or low-cost upgrade (if you buy shortly before the release) to Tiger.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.