Post liquid damage: Magsafe Bd and Logic Bd

Reaction score
I am trying to repair a late 2011 Unibody MacBook Pro that my wife spilled soda on. I have it all apart and plugged the charger into the magsafe bd and I am getting a very faint green light most of the time (sometimes no light). This is with the magsafe bd unplugged from the logic board.

When I plug it into the logic bd it acts the same. I have tried cleaning all that I could with isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush and don't see any signs of corrosion. I'm not getting any power or anything though. I have tried powering on using the power pads too with the keyboard disconnected and still nothing.

What would the next step be in diagnosing? What voltage should I be getting out of the magsafe board? What voltage at the power pads? And does anyone have a schematic for the model A1278 Logic Board?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are no schematics available for any of Apple's products as they are strictly proprietary and only available to certified Apple technicians and the genius bar.

Please read through our Sticky at the top of this forum regarding spills. All the cleaning in the world is not going to cure a short that probably happened when the soda was spilled and the machine was on. You can get an idea of the assembly - disassembly of the machine and possibly some hints on repairing it at www.ifixit.com.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What would the next step be in diagnosing? What voltage should I be getting out of the magsafe board? What voltage at the power pads? And does anyone have a schematic for the model A1278 Logic Board?

Firstly: If you feel the magafe board is the problem…just replace it. They are inexpensive.

Second: If it's the logic board…do you really think that you can repair it even if you had a schematic? I sort of doubt it…unless you have some very specialized tools. But regardless…we don't have schematics…and if it is the logic board...the computer is toast (too expensive to replace).

Third: Please read our official "Spill" thread in the "Notebooks" area.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Firstly: If you feel the magafe board is the problem…just replace it. They are inexpensive.

Second: If it's the logic board…do you really think that you can repair it even if you had a schematic? I sort of doubt it…unless you have some very specialized tools. But regardless…we don't have schematics…and if it is the logic board...the computer is toast (too expensive to replace).

Third: Please read our official "Spill" thread in the "Notebooks" area.

- Nick

My wife has the same computer so I am going to swap her magsafe board with mine and see if it will work so that should rule that out or solve my problem.

I work as an electrical engineer so we have a wave solder and some fancy machines for delicate items like this so I think I might be able to but it's not looking like I can get my hands on any schematics.

And thanks I read that post.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My wife has the same computer so I am going to swap her magsafe board with mine and see if it will work so that should rule that out or solve my problem.

Great idea…and very convenient.:)

I work as an electrical engineer so we have a wave solder and some fancy machines for delicate items like this so I think I might be able to but it's not looking like I can get my hands on any schematics.

This certainly puts you into a VERY RARE category.;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.