Possible to remove MacBook Pro glass ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I'm sure many of you have seen videos of people cleaning their iMac's by taking the glass off of it. I'm wondering if the same beautiful matte screen lays underneath a bevel of glass on the MacBook pro ? If so, I'd LOVE to remove it as I hate the glossy screen.

Doug

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes, it does. But as I understand it, the entire assembly is glued together on the MacBook/MacBook Pro, whereas on the iMac it's fixed in place magnetically.

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
So then, it IS possible technically speaking. Hmm.. Really interesting. It would likely just take a bit of heat to disengage the glue a bit in order to pry it off I suppose. I'd love to know if anyone out in the web world has done this. I'd be UBER excited to do this myself !

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
It has been done by people trying to replace the LCD screens... In your case it might be easier because most people try to do so without breaking the glass so they can put it back on later... In your case it sounds like you have no intention of putting the glass back on.

The only thing you might want to consider before you break out the blow dryer (which is what I've heard works best to soften the adhesive) is whether you are willing to have the raw look around your LCD screen when you are done. I mean the black trim on the backside of the glass likely covers a bit of ugly that you will be seeing if you go glassless... Of course on the positive side you would have a lighter Macbook pro than anyone else.

Reaction score
It has been done by people trying to replace the LCD screens... In your case it might be easier because most people try to do so without breaking the glass so they can put it back on later... In your case it sounds like you have no intention of putting the glass back on.

The only thing you might want to consider before you break out the blow dryer (which is what I've heard works best to soften the adhesive) is whether you are willing to have the raw look around your LCD screen when you are done. I mean the black trim on the backside of the glass likely covers a bit of ugly that you will be seeing if you go glassless... Of course on the positive side you would have a lighter Macbook pro than anyone else.

I wonder if it might be possible to use the macbooks white bezel and just paint it black or something?

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have seen several Youtube videos of people (Apple Authorized) removing the glass on the 13" and it looks incredibly easy to do. Two things however. For one, the panel underneath is butt ugly as you've said Thomas. Secondly, I do not believe that the LCD its self is of the matte variation. It looks to me, from the videos, that the LCD's are still very glossy.

I could be wrong, but it looks that way to me. Is there any way of finding out ?

Doug

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the support Clay. I actually have a Moshi anti glare film on my MacBook Pro. :Smirk: Unfortunately, it really pales in comparison with a real matte screen. It does it job as far as keeping the glare and reflections totally at bay, but on the other side of the fence, it's incredibly lack luster.

I LOVE my 15" MacBook Pro's (late 2008) matte screen. There's no comparison to a silly film. While the gloss is alright in terms of vibrancy, it's just annoying to work with. Those people who made the comments on the bottom of the page you linked obviously aren't serious about their work if they think reflections and glare are ok to deal with.

In any case, it's all good. I'll never purchase another glossy screen Mac again. Lesson learned. Oh, and as for those companies who replace the lcd's, I'd be wary of where they get their lcd's from. Doubt they'd be of the same quality as the original.

Doug

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Doug, I'd be really surprised if it was a glossy screen behind the glass panel. Typical LCD screens are matte, the glossy screens really only started to surface as consumer preference started leaning in that direction. Just my opinion, but I can't imagine they'd have specifically chosen a glossy panel just to encase behind glossy glass.

Had a quick glance at YouTube and didn't see anything specific to the 13" MacBook Pro - can you point me at the videos you looked at? It's not that I don't believe you, but just wanted to see for myself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.