Possible to connect internal SSD disc on Macbook Pro 2012 externally?

Reaction score
Hey,

My internal SSD disc on Macbook Pro 2012. Is it possible to connect it externally to another mac computer and how?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes, you will need an external disk enclosure and appropriate cable/connector. It will then appear as an EHD on your other Mac computer.
As to how compatible the data will be depends on the Operating System of both devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
My internal SSD disc on Macbook Pro 2012. Is it possible to connect it externally to another mac computer and how?

If you just wanted to do so for a temporary situation, you should be able to use Target Disk Mode:

Transfer files between two computers using target disk mode

As previously mentioned, compatibility due to different OS application versions may be something you have to consider and deal with.

- Patrick
=======

OP
T
Reaction score
I have an Samsung 750 EVO SSD Disc in a Macbook 2012. I want to connect i externally to a PC or another Mac. I only have an SATA to USB connector for the SSD disc atm which allows me to connect the SSD disc with USB externally.

1. Do i also need an external disk enclosure to be able to connect the SSD disc or is it enough with the SATA to USB connector?

2. The SSD Disc is set up as a main boot HD with Mojave on my old Macbook. I want to connect it to a PC or another Mac to be able to make a backup of my old files. Is it possible?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If I'm understanding your situation correctly you don't necessarily need n enclosure to connect the drive and transfer your files to another computer. If this is a one time/occasional transfer the SATA to USB option should be fine, otherwise opt for an enclosure.

Since the SSD is set up as a Mojave boot disc the best option would be to connect it to another Mac to make copies of the files. PCs can't read Mac-formatted discs without third-party software. I have no personal experience with that method though. About TransMac for Windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I have an Samsung 750 EVO SSD Disc in a Macbook 2012. I want to connect i externally to a PC or another Mac.

Alright, I understand that but what I don't understand is what you are actually attempting to do.

If you are just trying to transfer some files between two computers, use Target Disk Mode
as outlined in the Apple Help article, if you are wanting to transfer a large number of files,

If you are just wanting to transfer some small number of files to back up somewhere to one of your other computers, just set up file sharing with your local network and transfer your files using file sharing.

If you have a lot of files and you don't have a backup, I would suggest buying a new external hard drive with an appropriate cable and a copy of carbon copy cloner.

An appropriate spinner hard drive would be more than adequate with an appropriate connection cable and carbon copy cloner is free to use for a while so neither should break the bank.

My apologies if I have misunderstood what you are trying to do but if it is for creating some backups for important files you don't already have backed up, I would do it as soon as possible if not sooner!!! 😒

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.