Possible GPU failure imminent?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
How many ports does the monitor have? Have you tried a different port?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, Mac Mini (late-2012), 13" MBP M1, 27" iMac 2020, iPad Mini, iPhone SE, 4-Apple TVs, AW6
That's another thing I intend to try. I have a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable, so I could try that. It's still using the Thunderbolt port, though, so if that's the issue, it won't solve much. Still, worth a shot. I reset the monitor to factory settings a few hours ago and so far, no blinks. But I've seen it work fine for hours before and then it starts again out of nowhere. So we'll see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
dell offers a full 1 year warranty at least on a monitor so returning it to them if faulty is the best option here,

as for that id say try it with the thunderbolt to HDMI instead

and see how it goes

it may be that the display connection is dropping out for a split second,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
dell offers a full 1 year warranty at least on a monitor so returning it to them if faulty is the best option here,

That warranty would cover repairs not to return the monitor for a refund. Dell is not near as generous as Apple when it comes to returns. ;)

Reaction score
That warranty would cover repairs not to return the monitor for a refund. Dell is not near as generous as Apple when it comes to returns. ;)

I would think that's precisely what the OP would want (repair or replace), unless I'm missing something. I'm sure he'd rather find out he'd have to do that vs. find out that his Thunderbolt ports are bad like mine were :Not-Amused:

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, Mac Mini (late-2012), 13" MBP M1, 27" iMac 2020, iPad Mini, iPhone SE, 4-Apple TVs, AW6
I reset the monitor to factory settings yesterday morning and it hasn't blinked since. So maybe some setting adjustment I made while trying to get the temp and white points to match my iMac screen didn't work well with the Dell. I can live with a slightly different temp (the Dell is a bit warmer) if that's what it takes to not have to deal with repairs.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Several days have passed since I reset to factory settings on the Dell monitor and it hasn't blinked once. So I guess there was some setting I tweaked that it didn't like. Problem solved. Thanks for all the input. I appreciate the responses.

Reaction score
Several days have passed since I reset to factory settings on the Dell monitor and it hasn't blinked once. So I guess there was some setting I tweaked that it didn't like. Problem solved. Thanks for all the input. I appreciate the responses.

Awesome news!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you want to get the monitor temp to match your iMacs monitor temp here's something to try. I don't think it will mess up what you've done to get the monitor working. It doesn't change the timing (which I suspect is the cause of the issue):

1. With the monitor connected and turned on open System Preferences>Displays
2. The pane with settings for Dell monitor should appear on the Dell monitor. Click the Colors tab.
3. The window will change to show several color profiles and should include one or more iMac profiles. Select each in turn till you find the one that matches your iMac. If necessary, you can use the ColorSync utility to examine your iMac's color settings and compare those to the settings on the Dell monitor.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you want to get the monitor temp to match your iMacs monitor temp here's something to try. I don't think it will mess up what you've done to get the monitor working. It doesn't change the timing (which I suspect is the cause of the issue):

You may be on to something. I've seen monitors go completely black when the refresh rate was too high but that was with older CRT types which were more sensitive to refresh. LCD and OLE types are probably less prone to blacking out with a bad refresh rate but instead might blink. (Which is what our OP is seeing.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
that's great news that its now playing nice,

and yeah it was likely some setting you had set to high like others have said maybe the refresh rate was too high and it was causing the loss of signal for a few seconds a time,

but glad to know its now sorted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.