Possibility of changing double click on Magic mouse to single

Reaction score
I'm quite new to the world of Apple having recently purchased an iMac and finally done away with everything Microsoft!

I'm more than happy with my new Magic Mouse II instead of the optical mouse with scroll wheel I'd been using for years.

I had been able to set up that old mouse so that I only had to left click ONCE to open an email, website or stored folder.
All that 'double clicking' drives me mad - it's such a waste of time and truthfully give me hand ache after a long session.

I have looked carefully in the system preferences>mouse but am unable to find a way to change the double click action to single.

This option was available via Windows and I wondered if my iMac could provide a similar option.

Any help would be gratefully received (*_*)

Oh yes and by the way...... I had a small issue this week when my Magic Mouse II suddenly stopped scrolling in Pages.
It scrolled perfectly on web sites and in Numbers but I was forced to use my arrow keys to complete some editing work I was doing.
I looked hard for possible solutions on line but initially found none or at least no one who had the same issue.
I finally took a second look and went again into system preferences>mouse and moved the setting on the speedbar to 'faster' (it had been sent by default in the middle of the bar). I closed off system preferences, went back into the document I had been editing and hey-presto, the mouse performed it's scroll function once more. I guess it's not called Magic for nothing!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm quite new to the world of Apple having recently purchased an iMac and finally done away with everything Microsoft!

I'm more than happy with my new Magic Mouse II instead of the optical mouse with scroll wheel I'd been using for years.

I had been able to set up that old mouse so that I only had to left click ONCE to open an email, website or stored folder.
All that 'double clicking' drives me mad - it's such a waste of time and truthfully give me hand ache after a long session.

I have looked carefully in the system preferences>mouse but am unable to find a way to change the double click action to single.

This option was available via Windows and I wondered if my iMac could provide a similar option.

Any help would be gratefully received (*_*)

For regular mice, USB Overdrive can quite easily do this. They don't support the Magic Mouse though, so if you are determined to stick with that, I suggest looking into BetterTouchTool.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.