Poor connection speeds on macbook pro

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have been having extremely poor connection speeds on my macbook pro 17" 2.6ghz with 4gb ram laptop. i am running 10.6.2.

I am connecting wirelessly through a router on comcast internet. Both the computer connected without wireless and the PC laptop connecting through wireless work with no issues and report back 20mbps download and 3.5mbps upload through speed tests. when connected directly my mac laptop reports the same speeds, but when going through the wireless i get a speed of between 1 and 2 mbps download, but still 3.5mbps upload.

any suggestions? let me know if you need more info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. Try setting up a Location and include DNS numbers for that ISP at that Location. If they are OK then what is doing the wireless and have u checked the Network settings in that.

OP
P
Reaction score
hey collin thanks for the response.

i tried setting up a location, but the only two options i found there were automatic and verizon wireless - vzaccess...and neither of those seemed like they would help.

those are the dns numbers listed, and i looked DNS : Default at that website and those are the numbers listed for the SF bay area.

i dont know what you mean by what is doing the wireless?

Reaction score

go to the router config page;
from a comp plugged into the router, open firefox and go to 192.168.1.1
go to wireless settings and make sure everything is as it should be

OP
P
Reaction score
bboy, i had my roommate do that earlier and everything is fine. both of the other computers (pc's) on the network work extremely quickly...my mac is the only one having issues.

and just realized that you were asking what he wireless was doing. im using it right now, it works...just not very quickly at all. whenever i try to load a video or something that takes a lot of bandwidth, it takes forever to load.

Reaction score

is the wireless AP operating an a frequency that is being interrupted?
like a cordless phone at, i think, 2.4 or 5.0;
sometimes an AP operates on similar;
or a microwave or even physical barriers;
if wireless is the only connection messing up and it is none of those things, you have probably isolated to your software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
pocktdeuces
If your Internet Service Provider ISP is verizon then they will have a Primary and Secondary DNS number Domain Name Server and is a sort of shorthand way to saying verison.com or whatever. So if u are with Comcast and in Lax then those to DNS numbers should show up automatically on the modem and also in Sys Prefs > Network > Advanced (if on 10.5 or 10.6) if not add them under the DNS window in either Airport for wireless or Ethernet for physical connection or add them to both if using both. It should help.

OP
P
Reaction score
It seems like my dns settings are all correct, and they are automatically put there...i dont understand what affect the DNS would have on my download speed...the other computers on the same network have no issue at all.

the verizon thing is for my wifi card. my home internet is through comcast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How about using Onyx to do some 'housekeeping' and clean out caches and see if that helps.

Reaction score

if you are on dhcp, which i am almost sure you would be, the dns servers might not show up;
they dont for me, i have to look them up;
but that shouldnt matter if the other comps are working;
does the macbook work better when close to the AP?
does it work better on other networks or still have problems?
see what processes are running on the macbook and post the results;

OP
P
Reaction score
i am sitting right next to the router/modem right now and it is absolutely awful. barely loading websites.

the only other network i have used is my verizon card, and it seems equally as bad on that.

here is whats running.

Screenshot2010-03-28at120009PM.png

Reaction score
ok

i think i see what is wrong;
look at the real and virtual memory columns next to firefox, you are using a large % of the cpu but the real and virtual mem are really low;
by comparison my system processes show firefox using 7 % cpu with 219 mb real and 1.7 gb virtual memory;
so set the paging files or virtual memory sizes to larger, i cant remember if this is under firefox preferences or system preferences;
at least now you have isolated the problem to your system, i would start with checking why firefox is not using larger virtual memory, maybe killing off processes that run in the background like growl, pokertracker;
maybe try and see if something like pokertracker is using bandwidth;
check the console log for any weird messages, daemons that keep trying to run but are in error;
that happened to me with some intego software that was partially deleted and its daemon kept trying to phone home and it was filling up my console log and constantly running;
btw, do you have to opt in for pokertracker to record your stats?
i read that you are only tracked in the databases of programs you use;

OP
P
Reaction score
pokertracker definitely causes my system to run slower as it takes up a ton of resources, but it shouldnt cause any problems with my connection as it doesnt connect to the internet at all. i play poker for a living, pokertracker is something i use to track how i am doing and overlays stats for my opponents...i dont know what you mean about people tracking me tho :)

i guess i'll play around with killing some programs and see if it helps the speed at all. im pretty sure that having firefox open doesnt affect it at all tho. i'll try closing firefox and running a speed test through safari.

OP
P
Reaction score
just tested on safari and got .1 for the download speed....HMMM not good.

could barely load this forum. i am also playing poker all day today and its quite slow but working barely well enough.

Reaction score
when you say "download speed" are you actually downloading or are you just browsing web pages or is there streaming video or audio involved?
btw my activity monitor is using more virtual memory than your web browser, so i think either something is completely hogging resources or your swap file is too small;

with pokertracker: the "stats it overlays" for opponents, do you get these stats from hands you have seen or does pokertracker somehow track everyone within a room like "full tilt", or does it track everyone who has pokertracker accounts?

OP
P
Reaction score
when i say download speed, im doing a speed test on speakeasy.net/speedtest

i have other programs running while doing this speed test, so that would possibly drop it slightly but shouldnt make it crawl like that.

something is for sure crushing resources, and i think its mainly pokertracker...but even when i dont have that open, and when i just restart my computer, the internet is very slow. im currently on my verizon card, and its still insanely slow.

all of the stats that it overlays come from hands that i have played with people in the past. none of them come from pokertracker taking hands from other people or anything...

Reaction score
i re-read the posts, if the connection speeds up when plugged in to the ethernet, then it isnt a process problem, i dont believe;
it might actually be a hardware problem;

OP
P
Reaction score
hey guys,

any more suggestions on what to check? this is painful having to deal with these speeds :-/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.