Please Help

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
Hi all,

I was happily sitting at my computer listening to iTunes music and doing some other work when the power in my house went out for about 10 seconds. The iMac and the external HDD where I keep all my music went down and when I fired the computer back up well over half of my iTunes library is missing. However it appears that the files are still there on the HDD.

When I launched iTunes again it gave some error message about renaming the music library to "itunes(Damaged)".

What I would like to know is, is there any way in which I can restore all the music in one hit or do I have to go to the file import music option and do every track individually?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
er.. 24" iMac
this happend to me before... with a PC.. i had to run checkDSK.. but all that did was delete the library.xls file and automatically compile a new library... think you have to send the library file to trash and reopen itunes (creating new library, totally empty).. all you should have to do is add each album again.. not as tedious as each individual song again

well you could also put all the files into a single folder.. then add to library.. seeing as itunes automatically categories the songs

OP
Say_Cheese
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
where would I find this file??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
er.. 24" iMac
the music folder > iTunes
delete iTunes Music Library.xml and iTunes Library(no extention shown)

OP
Say_Cheese
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I have deleted those two files and now I have re-opened iTunes. It is blank and I have now gone to 'Add To Library' and selected the folder that all my music is in. It is importing the files as I type, now it is adding the album artwork.

Fingers crossed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.