Please help with MacBook Pro HDD upgrade

Reaction score
Hi, my first post! :)

A buddy has a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012, now with Yosemite and all updates) which came with a 500 GB HDD. He just bought a 1 TB HGST HDD and wants to upgrade by transferring all programs and data (He does not have the OS CD's or the application CD's) and asked for my help.

Opening the MacBook and replacing the HDD is not a problem.

However I am I am confused about how I should go about doing the software/data transfer without doing any re-installation of software.

I have lots of experience with PC’s, and the procedure there is straightforward - use a tool like Acronis to create an image and store it in an external drive, remove old HDD, install new HDD, transfer image to new HDD and the upgrade is complete.

Is there a similar procedure I can follow on the MacBook Pro? Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is there a similar procedure I can follow on the MacBook Pro? Thanks in advance.

Yes, Carbon Copy Cloner a similar program to Acronis True Image. Use the same procedure you did with the PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Assuming that the new HDD is just a bare drive, then you/he will have to buy an enclosure/caddy for it. Something like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003RIL0EM/

Then just connect the drive to the Mac, clone the Mac's HDD to the external drive, and then swap the drives.

OP
X
Reaction score
Thanks. :)
Another dumb question: Will the cloned drive have its entire storage area available (moving from 500 GB to 1 TB) after installation or will I need to perform an additional step?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks. :)
Another dumb question: Will the cloned drive have its entire storage area available (moving from 500 GB to 1 TB) after installation or will I need to perform an additional step?

The cloned drive will maintain its original storage space.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for posting back the good results. Many of us use CCC and depend on OWC for memory and other Mac accessories. Both are excellent choices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.