Please help! Safari won't open after downgrading to Mojave from Catalina

Reaction score
The backstory: After automatically upgrading to Catalina, it didn't take long to realize it was a bad idea. My MacBook Pro 15 ran VERY hot on Zoom meetings and when connected to my TV via HDMI. The new 'Music' that replaced iTunes was horrible and (my biggest problem), I lost the use of MS Office 2011 & I used Word and Excel on a daily basis. I wasn't about to pay an annual fee to MS for Office 365 when I had already paid for 2011 and they're fine.

SO - I decided to downgrade. I backed up to an external HD with Time Machine and successfully installed Mojave. iTunes is back and my MS apps are opening and happy once again. BUT - Safari won't open. I get: "You can't use this version of the application "Safari.app" with this version of macOS. You have macOS 10.14.6. The application requires macOS 10.15 or later."

I found several free downloads of Safari through third-party sites, but nothing successful.
My Safari that won't open is Version 14.0.2. OS is Mojave is 10.14.6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
successfully installed Mojave.
If Safari doesn't work for the reason you gave, that was NOT a successful installation of Mojave. Redo it. Safari is installed with the OS. It may be that your TM restore overlaid what Mojave installed, so be careful on the next restore to exclude it from being restored.

OP
R
Reaction score
If Safari doesn't work for the reason you gave, that was NOT a successful installation of Mojave. Redo it. Safari is installed with the OS. It may be that your TM restore overlaid what Mojave installed, so be careful on the next restore to exclude it from being restored.
Thanks so much! I reinstalled Mojave and it was that simple. Everything else remained unchanged. I'm surprised I didn't have to reload everything from Time Machine, but I won't question it! I REALLY appreciate the help!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.