Please help..corrupt .jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I tried to set a JPG pic that I have saved on a thumb drive as wallpaper and it somehow became corrupt. When I try to open it I get the following error message.
The file could not be opened. It may be damaged or use a file format that preview doesnt recognize. Please Help. This is a very special pic I took while on vacation in Paris. it's a one of a kind in my collection.
Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It's unlikely you'll be able to recover the data. There's no telling when the corruption took place, copying to or from the USB or in transit etc. Yo can try connecting to another PC/Mac and copying the file from the stick or running a repair disk from disk utility on the stick but it's a long shot.

I'm hoping that, as this was important irreplaceable data, you have it backed up in more than one place, not just on the USB stick.

Reaction score
That is not what I wanted to hear. ****! I can still preview my actual photos from the photo library. Just one at a time. Is there a alternative application that is like the photos.app that will work on Mac? I went through each photo (thousands) one folder at a time and copied them to a different folder and none were corrupt. I don't know if its the actual app that is not working or my library. Is there a way to tell?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You are posting into a 8 year old thread that is totally unrelated to your issue with Photos.app corruption. Photos.app didn't even existing back then, please don't bring up old unrelated threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.