Please help!! Can't reinstall OS X

Reaction score
I have sold my 2009 iMac and tried to format it to get ready for sale, which seemed to go fine, but now it won't let me reinstall Mac OS X. It's says not on this computer. I don't have a time backup so I can't get back in that way either. Seems I have stuffed something up and really stressing out now it's sold. The OS X disc is in and I can't eject it, at a loss at what to do. Thanks in advance and sorry if there is other posts about this already.

C

chas_m

Starting from the top, it would really be useful to know what version of OS X we're talking about here. Is it the gray disc that came with THATA machine, or a retail disc, etc.

To eject the disc: restart (or power down if necessary) and hold the mouse key or trackpad down and keep holding it down. After a few moments this will eject the disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBAir
If you have access to another working mac, you can create bootable installer from a usb stick. You need to download the OS X installer from the apple app store and DiskMakerX.

DiskMaker X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
We need more information.

What operating system. How are you trying to do the install? hat version DVD or digital download? Is the disc in the machine the original OS X.6 disk which was the last operating system to come via DVD? Have you tried rebooting and holding down the mouse button to eject the disc?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.