Please help...at the end of my iMac rope.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
which one?
I've been battling my 2007 iMac for the past two days, and I could really use some help.

It's been working fine, no problems. The other morning I started it up and it suddenly froze, which it's never done in the 4 years I've had it. I rebooted and it came up on a blank screen with a flashing, white folder and question mark in the middle.

I went online w/my laptop and tried everything suggested. Put the OS software disc in. Disk Utility doesn't even recognize a HD, only my Time Machine backup external HD. Even tried doing a backup from Time Machine and it again doesn't recognize the HD.

Does this mean my HD is fried? And if so, is it cheaper/easier to just get a new iMac? I'd really appreciate any advice on this. Thanks so much!

V

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
First, is yours the 2007 20" model that was aluminum?

That is for sure the hard drive dying. If the OSX DVD does not even see the drive, it died. My 2007 iMac 2.4Ghz 20" Aluminum did that with it's 320 GB drive. I bought a new WD for it and installed it.

Drives are quite cheap. Can you do any computer work? The hardest part about taking apart a 2007 Aluminum is the front glass. You just need a couple of Suction Cups and attach them tightly to the glass and pull carefully up. Otherwise, just some Torx screws holding the LCD in, you lift that and unplug the LCD display cable that is held in by two tiny Torx T5 or T6 and also watch the inverter cables. After that the drive is right there and easy to change.

OP
veemoe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
which one?
iMac trouble

Thanks so much for replying, Dennis!

Mine is the 2007 20" white model, not aluminum. I've tinkered with older Macs before, but never with an iMac. This one has a 500GB drive. Is the installation process different for the non-aluminum models?

Thanks again so much!

Victoria

First, is yours the 2007 20" model that was aluminum?

That is for sure the hard drive dying. If the OSX DVD does not even see the drive, it died. My 2007 iMac 2.4Ghz 20" Aluminum did that with it's 320 GB drive. I bought a new WD for it and installed it.

Drives are quite cheap. Can you do any computer work? The hardest part about taking apart a 2007 Aluminum is the front glass. You just need a couple of Suction Cups and attach them tightly to the glass and pull carefully up. Otherwise, just some Torx screws holding the LCD in, you lift that and unplug the LCD display cable that is held in by two tiny Torx T5 or T6 and also watch the inverter cables. After that the drive is right there and easy to change.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
With that 20" white one, the biggest pain is the front. You first take off the memory door at the bottom then 3 Torx Screws also on the bottom of the White computer part.

Then the hard part. With the 20"'s that I have worked with there are two hidden latches on either side in the back through the vent holes. They are a pain to get them to release. I got a thinner credit card and shaped it just right and kept pushing through that long narrow vent in the top back on the extreme right and left side till the latches released.

Otherwise same once you get off the front. LCD, LCD cable, Backlight cables then locate the drive. I have the service manual so could show you pics if you get stuck.

OP
veemoe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
which one?
Thank You

Again, thanks so much for your reply. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and either get someone else to install the drive or get a newer, faster machine. I'm cautious to do this myself and risk mucking it all up.

I really appreciate your help!

V.

With that 20" white one, the biggest pain is the front. You first take off the memory door at the bottom then 3 Torx Screws also on the bottom of the White computer part.

Then the hard part. With the 20"'s that I have worked with there are two hidden latches on either side in the back through the vent holes. They are a pain to get them to release. I got a thinner credit card and shaped it just right and kept pushing through that long narrow vent in the top back on the extreme right and left side till the latches released.

Otherwise same once you get off the front. LCD, LCD cable, Backlight cables then locate the drive. I have the service manual so could show you pics if you get stuck.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too bad you don't live closer. I would say bring it over and do it for you. Let us know how it turns out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
It isn't too hard to do. Follow the directions on iFixit and look for a video for your specific model. I replaced mine and the hardest things were the latches as mentioned, and then getting the foil shield off. I don't know the specifics of your particular version, but mine is a white 20" mid 2006 version and yours is probably similar.

If you replace the drive, either by yourself or having someone else do it, replace it with an SSD. It'll turn your older iMac into a speed demon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.