Please critique my photo backup plan

Reaction score
Hello. This is my first post. I’m developing a new plan for storing and backing up my Aperture Library (And other data) and was hoping for any helpful critiques/recommendations.

I currently run OS X 10.6.8 with Aperture 3.2 utilizing a referenced library (I had been using a managed library and Time Machine on a 500 GB external USB drive along with manual backups to my other large external USB drives but ran out of space on my 250 BG Macbook Pro drive)

My plan going forward (Using 4 external USB drives sized 500 GB, 2.5 TB, 3 TB, & 3 TB) is as follows:

1) Store my Referenced Aperture files on the 500 GB USB external drive (My Aperture “Working Drive”)

2) Create a 1 TB Time machine partition on each of the (3) large Drives

3) Create a 2 TB (or 1.5 TB) partition on the remaining portion of the drives for backup of other files.

4) Make sure that my Aperture working drive is connected (and included in the backups) when I perform my Time Machine backups

5) I’m not sure but I think I can set it up so Time Machine can back up to each of the 3 drives (whichever is connected at the time).

6) When I back up to time machine (I do it on a “manual” backup schedule cause it’s not always connected) I will immediately connect the other drive and perform another backup. (Backing up to the 3rd - stored offsite - when I have it)

5) Manually backup my other data to the 2 TB partitions (This is mainly for video files that do not fit on my hard drive that I don’t really “work with much” so they don’t change and i just add the new files to each of the drives as they are created)

6) Keep two of the large externals at home and rotate one offsite.

Is this a decent plan? Is it difficult to restore an Aperture Ref Library from a Time Machine backup. Any critiques/recommendations for this plan would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ron

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is this a decent plan? Is it difficult to restore an Aperture Ref Library from a Time Machine backup. Any critiques/recommendations for this plan would be greatly appreciated.

I see nothing wrong with your plan. It has a lot of redundancy which is always best when dealing with things like photos which are irreplaceable. I can't advise you on restoring an Aperture Library since I do not use Aperture, however, like an iPhoto library should be straight forward with regard to restoring. I do have one suggestion: you might want to take a look at Carbon Copy Cloner to supplement your backup strategy.

OP
R
Reaction score
chscag

Thanks for the quick reply. I've seen that many people use CCC and I understand that one of the main benefits is that it can give you a bootable copy of your hard drive. (I've been thinking about buying another HD for this purpose as you suggest) Aside from that, is there any benefit to using CCC to backup my Reference library vs my time machine method above? Do you think I would I be better off using CCC to backup the reference library (say to a separate partition on the externals) and leaving Time machine for just my hard drive backups?

Thanks again

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Aside from that, is there any benefit to using CCC to backup my Reference library vs my time machine method above? Do you think I would I be better off using CCC to backup the reference library (say to a separate partition on the externals) and leaving Time machine for just my hard drive backups?

I find it easier to restore from a CCC backup than a Time Machine backup and of course a CCC backup can be made bootable. But other than that, Time Machine backups do have one advantage, and that is being able to go back to say, a week ago, month ago, etc, to dig out a file or folder that might be needed because the current one is corrupt. CCC backups are one shot; there is no going back further than the latest backup. As for your reference library, I would continue to use Time Machine.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
And yes, you can backup and restore/replace your Aperture library. Just go to wherever your Aperture library is kept (usually, like iPhoto, in pictures) and copy it to an EHD. If ever needed, the library can be copied on to another Mac (with the same OS or higher—might be a problem if it were a lower OS), or copied back to your current Mac if something ghastly happened. Of course, in this case you need to keep updating your backup, whereas Time Machine & CCC (or SuperDuper!), do that for you.

Ian

Reaction score
I can Help you there.

I am trained as a black and white photographer.

And i use aperture and even pixelmator and iPhoto.

What i recommend honestly is to setup using WD my passport drives you can get a nice 2 TB for around 149.00 you can easily buy two of these and do some great management for your photo collection.

I am from the old school methods myself and what i do is really great for any photo program.

Steps for setup:

Format both of the new hard drives

Create folders on the drive:

/aperture
/iphoto
/originals
/modified
/finals

Aperture: Would be where you keep your aperture library.

Iphoto: Would be where you keep your iPhoto library.

Original's: Would be where you would download the photo's to from your camera these are unmodified files also known as originals.

Modified: In this folder you copy the same pictures from your camera to this folder serves as a edit version folder this means you can modify the files anyway you want and you save back to this folder and then you can import the pictures into aperture for more advance options.and if you screw up you can copy the file again from originals.

Finals: this is where you can store your final pieces of photography Art

This simple method works for most and can be modded for any use including making music movies and games as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
How often and to what extent you backup your data is really determined on how valuable the data is to you.
I for one backup via TimeMachine. Its not directly bootable, however in Mac Recovery mode, you can restore the entire OS and backed up Data (Apps, Photos, Etc.. etc..) all at one time. However I do have a bootable copy of OSX on external drive and I do make DVD backups of all my files on a periodic basis for redundancy.

Having a redundant backup plan is always good. But the key to a good backup plan is making it as painless as possible to perform. If it becomes a hassle, then chances are you will start skipping backups or not messing with it at all. This is why I stick with Time Machine and manually once every month make DVD backups of latest videos and photos from my video blog & photography.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks Exodist
You bring up a great point about keeping it simple. That's exactly what I was trying to achieve. Based on everyones advise, I will also maintain a separate clone of my hard drive on a new USB drive. I also perform DVD backups. Unfortunately, I'm not as diligent as you with it and it tends to pile up.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
re optical backups. They're not to be considered archival, at all. The media WILL fail, how soon will depend on the storage conditions, but it WILL fail.

OP
R
Reaction score
Dysfunction - What do you think is the best option (if any) for "Archiving"? What media do you think is best?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
I'm with Joe on this. Keep it simple and you'll keep doing it.

i use TM permanently connected to my iMac, then external drives for:

1. a bootable clone (I use SuperDuper)
2. my .NEF (RAW files)
which I back up weekly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Dysfunction - What do you think is the best option (if any) for "Archiving"? What media do you think is best?

This is the problem. Really, I'd suggest doing regular backups to multiple magnetic media and if you're using optical, 'refresh' it regularly (maybe yearly) to ensure you have copies. Ultimately the only true archival preservation method is an archival grade print (which is becoming more and more difficult to do). Unfortunately, I think we're going to see much of the things we create lost due to technical storage limitations. Much like early photography and literature I'm afraid.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks Mike
That's where I figured you were going. That's why I tend to get lax with the DVD's. Not sure it's really worth it. Process for me has been to buy new externals every now and then as they get bigger and cheaper. I figure if I replenish enough (and stagger it), I'll always have drives that are new enough to be reliable. End up storing away the older ones as "extra" backups of older content. I guess that'll do fine for me for now. Got to figure storage media will eventually evolve to the point where it is more reliable long term no?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.