please advise me on what to get mac mini and display or imac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13 inch 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hi, after my 10 year old macbook looks like dying (i don't use it often as I spend my working day on 4 screens etc and only use ipad at home) I need to get a desktop for my children (currently 6 and 3 but the school is pushing us to get them on desktops), Something with a large static screen and mouse and keyboard. None of us a gamers but we do have photos etc. I wonder about a display and keyboard and a mac mini ? or else a second hand iMac? I am leery of the mac mini as I had trouble with the apple tv thing. and don't want a repeat! Thanks again. Cost is an issue and I don't need the latest spec and won't be constantly upgrading

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini 2.5 ghz i5, 16 GB RAM, 960 GB SSD + 500 GB HDD (5200 RPM)
Well if you just need a basic computer for school work and such, the entry level 2014 Mac Mini will be adequate. It has roughly the same specs as a Macbook Air. A decent 1080p monitor can be had relatively cheaply (well, in the US at least) so you can potentially save a lot of money over the entry level iMac.

You will need to buy a mouse and keyboard as well. Any old Windows combo will do, though you might want to buy a Mac keyboard down the road since Macs use a slightly different layout. Mac keyboards, even third party ones, tend to be a bit more expensive, but you can still find cheap ones now and then.

It might be worth your time to look in the Apple Refurb store at the 21.5'' iMacs. Since you have to buy everything, it might be worth it to go with a cheap iMac that already has all the accessories bundled. Right now the US refurb store has older 21.5s for only $50 more than the entry unit and they have much better specs.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
dorisbonkers
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13 inch 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Many thanks for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.