Playing on Top - I'm So Used to this Option...

Reaction score
So, I'm a happy switcher, but one thing that is killing me is that I'm used to having my media players "play on top" of other windows? What media player should I be using to take advantage of this option. I always like to have a little video playing in the corner of my screen, while I type away.

what should I use? is there an option for the built in DVD player?
PS. I want something simple and pretty.

Reaction score
VLC has an "always on top" setting. Preferences > video > check appropriate box.

Reaction score
There is something for your needs: VLC (www.videolan.org) can do it. Just go to the preferences -> video and check "Always on top"

voila: enjoy your video while writing documents

I use VLC a lot. For me it crashes almost too often, but it still works ok and plays nearly everything including DVDs, video_ts folders, ...

EDIT: biffyiffy was faster.. :)

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks peeps. VLC was my player of choice for windows. 1/2 glad i dont have to change my habits for mac. the other 1/2 will be full of disdain if the UI is as ugly as the windows version....

i like to play pretty... wait.. that doesnt sound right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Don't worry, VLC looks MUCH better on the Mac than it does on Windows. I especially like the full-screen controls that fade in and out :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
Doesn't itunes have a small control window that can be set to stay on top? I think I remember seeing that option somewhere.

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Oh yea, forgot about that. In the preferences pane, there is an option to keep the mini-player on top of all windows.

Go to your iTunes preferences. Click on the Advanced Tab and make sure you're in the General settings. Near the bottom there is an option called "Keep MiniPlayer on top of all other windows". Check that and whenever you have iTunes running in mini mode, it'll stay on top of every window.

To turn on the mini-mode, either click on Window in the top bar and select Zoom, or just use the keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+Command+Z

Reaction score
the itunes mini player can stay on top. I just tried it: Doesn't apply for the video window. too bad actually: what's the point in leaving the mini player on top but not the running video?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.