Playing a Macintosh 1985 floppy disc game on windows

Reaction score
Hi all,

I joined to ask this question, not sure if its in the right category though!

I basically know nothing about Macs. However I managed to get hold of a 1985 game which is quite rare. I have the floppy disc itself, but I don't have a Mac to test it on (I use windows for the PC)

Is there anyway to load the floppy disc to an emulator within Windows? (I have an external floppy disc drive) Or is there a way to back it up in case the floppy disc gets damaged?

Are you aware of anyway to play the game without having to spend the money on an old Mac?

I'm a total novice, so answers in laymans terms would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This can be a pretty difficult project. Even if you had a super old Mac...you might still run into issues.

My quick thought back at you...since it sounds like you're more of a Windows person...how easy would it be to run a 1985 Windows based game on a relatively modern Windows computer running a fairly new version of Windows?

If this would be a difficult project...you can see how even more difficult it would be to run a 1985 macOS game on a Windows computer.;)

I should also mention that a floppy disk from 1985 could be in pretty rough shape depending on how much it was used. Could also have some floppy disk media degradation. And depending on how worn out the floppy disk drive is that's going to be used to read the disk...it may or may not be able to read the disk (as floppy disk drives age...the read/write heads can wear & change in alignment).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You may want to look into finding an Apple User group in your area, User Groups - Apple. They may be willing to help.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There is almost NO chance that the floppy disk is still readable, unless it was kept in its protective sleeve away from sunlight, magnets other things. While an interesting project, this might be feasible with someone who's amassed a number of old Macs in working order that they could try it out on. You aren't in that position, so as Bob suggested, short of finding someone with a '85 era Mac II or similar vintage Mac, you are SOL.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.