• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Pinnacle Video Capture

Reaction score
Hi
I just purchased a MacBook and a Pinnacle Video capture but i have a problem with the software. When i try and launch it i get a message and it says the application quit unexpectedly. I have download the updated software from the website but this doesn't work either. I have also tried this on a friends MacBook and it worked perfectly. Also both are OS X 10.5.4. I don't know what to do. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with this problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Can't say I know, but you need to analyze it. Open the Console.app found in the Utilities folder to see logging. Scroll to the latest time stamped messages. Then launch that software and see if any errors appear.

You might try fixing permissions using Disk Utility in the Utilities folder.

OP
X
Reaction score
Can't say I know, but you need to analyze it. Open the Console.app found in the Utilities folder to see logging. Scroll to the latest time stamped messages. Then launch that software and see if any errors appear.

You might try fixing permissions using Disk Utility in the Utilities folder.

i am really new to mac can i im u or something for some extra help
i get the below message in console
8/14/08 8/14/08 9:12:09PM com.apple.launchd[111] ([0x0-0x71071].com.elgato.VideoCapture[767]) Exited abnormally: Trace/BPT trap8/15/08
and the next one too

8/15/08 1:06:50PM com.apple.launchd[77] ([0x0-0x6b06b].com.elgato.VideoCapture[769]) Exited abnormally: Segmentation fault

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The only thing I can think of is to uninstall the software and any preference files and reinstall. Read the install instructions carefully. I'm wondering if you need an administrator account to do the install.

I can't tell why, but some part is crashing.

OP
X
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is to uninstall the software and any preference files and reinstall. Read the install instructions carefully. I'm wondering if you need an administrator account to do the install.

I can't tell why, but some part is crashing.

how do i uninstall preference files and also i am the only account on this computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Preference files should be located in your home directory in Library/Preferences/. The names are usually com.<company>.<applicationName>.plist and is draggable to the trash.

Another place to look for stuff is in your "Library/Application Support" folder.

Being the only account, you should have proper install permissions.

Also try fixing permissions using Disk Utility.

OP
X
Reaction score
Preference files should be located in your home directory in Library/Preferences/. The names are usually com.<company>.<applicationName>.plist and is draggable to the trash.

Another place to look for stuff is in your "Library/Application Support" folder.

I have repaired permissions in disk utilities so I will look at the other steps and post back thx

OP
X
Reaction score

the software doesn't seem to have any preferences in any of the two folders
i'm wondering if that could be the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It may not have a preference file. It isn't a requirement. Applications that need them create them as needed, so that fact they are non shouldn't be the problem.

I guess the next obvious suggestion is, check their knowledge base and their own forums. I can't imagine you are the first with this problem.

OP
X
Reaction score
It may not have a preference file. It isn't a requirement. Applications that need them create them as needed, so that fact they are non shouldn't be the problem.

I guess the next obvious suggestion is, check their knowledge base and their own forums. I can't imagine you are the first with this problem.

i have checked their website it is actually a problem they know about because they came out with an update that doesn't actually work on all os x 10.5.4
i have even spoken with customer support and they gave me this long reason on how they have to send this to their second department for troubleshooting and that i should receive a phone call in 48hrs but i doubt i will because later on i go an email about the conversation saying my problem was solved during the original conversation, so i'm not relying on pinnacle to help.

Reaction score
I have the same problem on my MacBook Pro and I'm currently trying to work it out with Pinnacle support. I installed the software on my wife's old PowerBook G4 and it worked like a breeze.

One difference that I noticed between our laptops: I have EyeTV 2.5.2 already installed on my machine. Pinnacle does install some EyeTV stuff so that might cause problems. Just a guess though.

I'll let you know what happens with their support. I uploaded my system profile to them some minutes ago, hope it'll help them.

OP
X
Reaction score
I have the same problem on my MacBook Pro and I'm currently trying to work it out with Pinnacle support. I installed the software on my wife's old PowerBook G4 and it worked like a breeze.

One difference that I noticed between our laptops: I have EyeTV 2.5.2 already installed on my machine. Pinnacle does install some EyeTV stuff so that might cause problems. Just a guess though.

I'll let you know what happens with their support. I uploaded my system profile to them some minutes ago, hope it'll help them.

yo for sure post back with your results thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might try VideoGlide. I just found out about this product the other day. Anyway, their page says you can install it and test it in a demo mode. The cost is $29.95. The page mentions two Pinnacle devices, but not the Mac one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 895LL/A - 15.4" Santa Rosa C2D - 2GB RAM - 120 (onboard), 500GB ext FW/eSATA/USB2 HDDs
Pinnacle VidCap Device

Funny... I have a Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick that I'm running on my Mac with eyeTV 3.0.2, and the video from the OTA HD antenna that was packaged with the hardware picks up local Phoenix broadcast HD beautifully... so I have no clue why everyone is po-dunking Pinnacle. I don't especially like them, but the hardware is doing what I need it to do, quietly, while I use real software to get everything else done.

Cheers!
Patrick

Reaction score
No solution yet; the problem has been escalated to their development team now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.