Physical cleaning recommended?

Reaction score
I know an electrical engineer that does small jobs on the side. One of those is cleaning computers. I told him that my MBP is from 2008 and I was impressed that it still works great (never had a laptop last this long).

He recommended that I get it cleaned as it may help with its longevity. For about $70 he offers to clean all the major components and add new thermal paste.

My computer runs fine and I don't have any problems with it, other than space issues on a 500 GB internal drive.

I know that since it doesn't have any problems maybe I should tempt fate, but on the other hand, maybe it'll help my machine last a little longer. I don't have any experience with this so thought I'd ask the forum (I did have an old Toshiba I'd have to dismantle and remove the dust from the inside).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Open it up yourself, give it a shot of compressed air, and save your self $70 bucks. :)

Unless you have overheating problems…in my opinion the thermal paste replacement part is where you might consider the theory of…"If it ain't broke…don't fix it."

I'm sure your electrical engineer acquaintance knows what their doing…but there are a lot of delicate parts & cables in there…and something can get broken (by accident). Nothing will get broken if no one mess's with things. So that's why I say…if nothing is wrong…don't fix it.;)

And of course this person (who cleans computers on the side) will recommend cleaning your computer…that's what they do!;)

- Talk to a refrigerator salesperson…and they'll want to sell you a new refrigerator.
- Talk to a automobile salesperson…and they'll want to sell you a new car.
- Talk to guy who makes money cleaning computers…and course he'll want you to pay him $70 bucks to clean your computer!

* Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Well said ! couldn't have been said any better!;D

Yep - Nick constructs wonderful, coherent, & informative posts - always enjoy! :)

I was going to respond by simply saying "If it's working, save your $$!" - ;) Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.