photoshop transparency logo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4 (tiger) 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 1Gb Ram, 320Gb Hard Drive, (leopard)
Hi all,

my friend gave me a logo that he wants the square background changed from white to transparent, but when i save it out then open it again in an image preview there is the white background again. this is probably simple and i am just missing something. anyone able to help?

i.e. the white circle would be the logo, and the blue bit is what he wants transparent.
1180548467.jpg

M

MacHeadCase

Chris, I assume you already know how to get rid of the blue, right? (Magic wand - the W key - with the right tolerance level not to bugger up the edges of what you want to keep... or Background Eraser - the E key?)

You will need to save the logo or artwork in a file format that accepts transparency either .gif or .png. I think .png applies less compression and keeps the final image nicer than .gif.

OP
chrisgrieve
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cheers macheadcase,

i was saving it as a jpg,.. i knew it was something simple i was missing cos i done the same thing a while back, lol.

thanks again.

chrisgrieve

Reaction score
If he plans on using this logo on the internet, be forewarned that IE (at least when I used it) doesn't show transparent .png images properly. He would be better off matching the image with the background it is going on.

M

MacHeadCase

Glad I could help, Chris.

Quite interesting, I didn't know about this, Brendan. Chris, maybe you should use the .gif file format then. We don't want our Windoze palls to cry over their keyboards, do we? ;D

Reaction score
I don't think it is fixed in the most current version. I would still recommend for the logo that you match the color of the background, then browsers will always view it correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Brednan,
You can run a simply behaviour in a stylesheet to globally fix all PNGs in IE 5.5 and IE 6. IE7 has it native png support (finally).

MHC,
A better way to select the blue is by color range. Depending on the wand's telerance, you may get some blue-ish pixels left behind (yuck).

Reaction score
Brednan,
You can run a simply behaviour in a stylesheet to globally fix all PNGs in IE 5.5 and IE 6. IE7 has it native png support (finally).

MHC,
A better way to select the blue is by color range. Depending on the wand's telerance, you may get some blue-ish pixels left behind (yuck).

That's correct, I completely forgot about that CSS trick. I haven't run IE in such a long time.

The only bummer is that on other websites you don't know if they have the .png fix used, you cannot fix that for them and your image shows incorrectly because of it.

As for IE7, I haven't used it yet. Thanks for letting me know.

Brednan, what kind of name is that? :)

M

MacHeadCase

Could be by a mask too, I guess? Command clicking on the letters or logo that has to stay?

Edited to add:

If the mask selects what is to be kept, you do a Shift + I to inverse the selection. Since the background is now chosen, you just press on the Delete key. Would that work, giulio?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Sorry, Brednan. I typo a lot when excited =)

MHC, yeah you can do that. But I find that if you use bitmap selection tools, you always end up with some sort of... leftovers. It would be best to recreate the artwork in a new file or layer.

Reaction score
May I ask what were so excited about oiluiq? Was it me? I know it was me. Haha.

When I crop anything with a background, I take a few hours to do it, pixel by pixel, and make sure everything is correct. It's worth it for important things. For other images, it's probably not, but it's good learning so I do it regardless of the image.

-Brednan (Hah.)

OP
chrisgrieve
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks again guys, really helpful.

cheers

chrisgrieve

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.