Photoshop CS2 on new Mac Book?

Reaction score
Hi. I'm a new Mac owner and in love with my little white machine.

I would like to install Photoshop CS2 but have been told that it is not compatible with the new dual core processors. Is this true? Is there any way I can install and run the program. I can't really afford to upgrade to CS3 at the moment, I don't really use it enough to warrant the cost!

If not, does anyone have any suggestions on cheaper graphic/image editing software? I've used GIMP before but do not know if they have issued a Mac version.

Reaction score
Hi retrodefect & welcome,

PS CS2 will run under Rosetta on your new mac. It may be a lil' slower but it should work fine as long as you have a Mac version. I haven't heard of it being incompatible with intel based macs.

Gimp (you download the .dmg) is a good option and will most certainly run on your mac. Gimpshop is similiar to PhotoShop and worth considering too.

If you search around the forum you'll find heaps of image editing software ... my personal fave is ImageWell.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks Pulse-8! I've downloaded GimpShop and I'm playing away now.

Do you know if GimpShop has something similar to the selective colouring function from PS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
By the way all, does GIMPShop also need Apple X11?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
I believe so, regular GIMP does...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
Hi, um.. one question here. What in the world is X11? I've been reading that in forums but I never knew what it was. And how do you know if you have it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.