Photos rsync

Reaction score
I would like to automatically push all my photo's I import to my mac to a NAS storage. It looks like Photo's puts all images to the Masters folder. I had not looked at this in iPhoto but it seems it would be simple to just schedule a job to push all images under this folder to my NAS. Any thoughts on why this wouldn't work?

I also pay for storage now on iCloud and only own a 128 MBP. I would consider the optimized storage option for my MAC but would first like to push newly imported items to a local storage location at full quality. Any thoughts on this?

/Users/brandon/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/Masters/2015/02/06/20150206-155803

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
iPhoto stores photos in a very convoluted folder structure and setting up rsync to work with it is probably only going to be effective if you sync over the entire iPhoto library (especially if you intend to use it as back of your iPhoto library).

OP
B
Reaction score
iPhoto stores photos in a very convoluted folder structure and setting up rsync to work with it is probably only going to be effective if you sync over the entire iPhoto library (especially if you intend to use it as back of your iPhoto library).

Yes, this is what i was thinking I would do. I would set rsync to push everything under the Masters folder. I don't think the folder structure is as critical anymore now that the photo apps focus on month/day sorting and other key metadata.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.