Photos not accessible

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently imported a number of photos from my camera and edited them (a fairly common occurrence). However, I am trying to sort thought them now and want to drag a number of them onto my desktop for eventual upload into a facebook group. The photos will NOT drag across! I just get the colourful wheel of death instead, and i end up having to force quit. No worries - I thought - I will just open the fb group and add the photos from there. Turns out I can't do that either because when I go to select from my Photos, only a fraction of the photos I imported are in there.

I think I know what i have done wrong. While editing photos I think I skipped to the next photo on more than one occasion without clicking 'done' in the the top right corner first. So some of them are only 'half edited' so to speak. But because there were over 200 photos, I don't know how to check that without opening each one individually.

Even so, it seems weird that if I open Photos directly on my mac book ALL the imported photos are showing, but when i try to access those photos from facebook, it only shows a few of them. Has something gone wrong in the importing stage?

Any help much appreciated.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi and welcome.

I am going to make an assumption that when you imported your pictures it was to the Photos app on your Mac.

Then you edited them in Photos app.

You cannot drag them to the desktop. You have to export them.

Also you want to know if you have completed the Edit by clicking Done? Let's take that first.

When you view a photograph in the Photos app, if it has been edited, it will show an icon in the top right of the picture as in the screenshot below - Red Arrow points to it.

S2.jpg

Now - when you come to Export the picture, you Click on File > Export as in the screenshot below. IF the Edit has been successful, you will see two options: Export 1 photo and Export Unmodified Original. You want to choose "Export 1 Photo".

If you don't get the choice, then the picture has not been Edited.

S1.jpg

You can then choose where you want the picture to go - Desktop in your case, I assume. By default, it will be exported as a JPEG.

Hope that helps. Please post back.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi Ian - you must be the resident guru :) Thank you for your quick reply.

I have always put the photos onto my desktop by dragging and dropping. This is the first time it hasn't worked. I'm convinced there is an issue with the Photos app as it is having great difficulty in doing anything.

However, i tried your suggestion and I don't have that little edit icon in the top right corner as per your screen grab - but if I highlight the pic then go to photos/export it does offer the choice of the edited version or the original as you state.

I edit photos regularly (being a keen photographer) but have not come up with these problems before. I wonder if the recent update has caused issues?

As an aside - when i force quit Photos now and then re-open it, it opens onto a single photo within recent imports. What's that about? And it opens as full screen too! Very strange. I have tried rebooting the laptop but nothing seems to help.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
And thank you for your prompt, courteous and informative response.

I agree that something seems amiss with your photos app.

Before recommending repairing the Photos database or, indeed any other action; I have to ask you:

(a) do you have a Time Machine or any other form of Backup (BU)?
(b) what model of MacBook do you have? (Year, basic specs, amount of unused storage space left)
(c) which Operating System (OS) does it run?

Reason for questions is that these can point the way to helping you best.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you again Ian.

I have no back up - all my photos are held on my laptop.

MacBook Air - early 2014
Processor 1.4GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

macOS Catalina Version 10.15.5

68.35GB available of 250.79GB (72.06GB of which are photos)

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again for the info.

I'm off to work soon so may not pick up this thread immediately; but this is worth a try:

It comes from Apple Support on how to repair a Photos library - How to use the Photos library repair tool – Apple Support

I'll get back to you ASAP. In the meantime, others may chime in with ideas. Please let us know how the repair goes.

Regards

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks so much Ian - it’s almost midnight here (NZ) so I will run the repair in the morning and let you know how it goes : )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I've not been able to drag/drop to or from the desktop for maybe two years or more so presume it was as a result of a new OS. I can't upload direct to facebook (which also used to be possible) but I can drag photos into facebook (and Twitter), albeit in a lower resolution.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Perhaps I missed it but does the inability to import to FaceBook affect all of your photos or just some of them? Sue's comment about lower photo resolutions working makes me think that photo resolution/format make be an issue here.

Facebook's hep topic is a bit thin on this subject but here's what they suggest
We automatically resize and format your photos when you upload them to Facebook. To help make sure your photos appear in the highest possible quality, try these tips:
  • Resize your photo to one of the following supported sizes:
    • Regular photos: 2048px wide or smaller
    • Cover photos: 851px by 315px
  • Save your image as a JPEG with an sRGB color profile.
You can also change your settings so that your photos are uploaded in HD by default.
See Here
Supported video formats are here

OP
M
Reaction score
I have always imported my photos directly into facebook from my Photos app - sometimes many at a time. They are full resolution pics taken from my DSLR. This is the first time I have tried to do so since the update about three/four days ago.

OP
M
Reaction score
I am running Version 5.0 (151.19.150) of photos - is the latest? I'm assuming all updates are done automatically as per my settings?

So I've run the repair as per @IWT's recommendation - and whilst it has helped somewhat, there still seem to be a handful of the last lot of imported photos that are not playing ball. Every time I try to drag them onto the desktop I get the colourful wheel of death again and I have to force quit.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I hate to correct my learned friend but drag via right mouse click and hold, from The All Photos window of the Photos app to the Desktop does copy the pic and has always worked for me. Exporting (sharing) to Facebook on the other hand directly from the Photos app has not worked since upgrade to Mojave. To post a photo to Facebook I copy it to the desktop, as above and import, via Facebook menu, from there. This is only annoying in that I have to then trash the copies.
See here: How To Post Photos to Facebook From Your Mac

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
Exporting () to Facebook on the other hand directly from the Photos app has not worked since upgrade to Mojave. To post a photo to Facebook I copy it to the desktop, as above and import, via Facebook menu, from there. This is only annoying in that I have to then trash the copies.
See here: How To Post Photos to Facebook From Your Mac

Well that’s strange because I have always been able to export into Facebook directly from my Photos via the Facebook upload photos feature. Seems weird that I can and others can’t. I think I’m using the latest version of Catalina having only updated within the past week.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hate to correct my learned friend but drag via right mouse click and hold, from The All Photos window of the Photos app to the Desktop does copy the pic and has always worked for me.

Delighted to be corrected. I was assuming Left Click and Drag. Never thought to use Right Click. Anyway, the point of the Forums is to dispel accurate info and if, as we all do from time to time, make an error, that should be put right. Thank you Rod:)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Some points - my understanding is that Facebook degrades images however you upload so anyone downloading from facebook will not get the full original image. When start a post (or reply) on Facebook then click and drag and image, it's the Facebook end which warns the photos are published at a lower resolution. It is such an infinitesmal difference that it doesn't worry me, even on photo pages I use.

The ability to click and drag must be the way you set up your trackpad is set up because I can't do that on my MBP. If you're talking a conventional mouse, it may work but I don't have a mouse. This is my menu with right click.

Screenshot 2020-06-22 at 13.55.25.png

My method to click and drag into facebook - open post, click and drag; photos imported into thread

Screenshot 2020-06-22 at 13.59.43 (1).jpeg

Screenshot 2020-06-22 at 14.00.02.jpeg

(GRRR, Can never guage image sizes on here.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OT...
Hi Ian - you must be the resident guru :) Thank you for your quick reply.
That he is, and a great grower of roses by the looks of it if those are his. Are they Queen Ann variety by chance???

I'm off to work soon so may not pick up this thread immediately; but this is worth a try:
Gee Ian, I thought and understood that you were retired.

I guess not according to your comment.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Gee Ian, I thought and understood that you were retired.

Ian mentioned that he was called out of retirement due to the pandemic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian mentioned that he was called out of retirement due to the pandemic.

Thanks Charlie, I guess I missed that in whatever thread he posted the fact.

- Patrick
======

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Patrick

The Rose I posted is called Special Anniversary:

IMG_2561.jpg

And this one is called Pilgrim:

IMG_4781.jpg

Yes, we grow our own or to be precise they grow themselves.

Admin chscag is correct. I have been dragged back to help out. It is an honour.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Patrick

The Rose I posted is called Special Anniversary:

View attachment 31748

And this one is called Pilgrim:

View attachment 31749

Yes, we grow our own or to be precise they grow themselves.

Admin chscag is correct. I have been dragged back to help out. It is an honour.

Ian

Both beautiful Ian, and thanks for helping out or "volunteering" and I'm sure it's needed and appreciated.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.