Photos Library

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5-inch, Late 2009 16 GB memory, High Sierra 10.13.6 500gb ssd, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I recently maxed out my 500gb ssd on my Imac. I've been doing Time Machine backups regularly. In cleaning out the files and archiving them to another disk I accidentally deleted the "Photos Library.photoslibrary".
I searched on Time Machine backups and that file name does not appear. I thought time machine archived all files?
Or am I as they say "if i was attached to to an to another object by an inclined plane wrapped helixly on an axis."🪛

In recreating this folder I assume it goes under:
IMac/Machintosh SSD/Photos Library/photoslibrary

Attachments

• missing photoslibrary.jpeg
    missing photoslibrary.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
IF it's in TM, it should be in the same place where it was on the internal drive. But before you do much more, is it in the Trashcan, or did you empty the trashcan?

You can probably locate where it WAS by opening Photos, then Preferences and look on the General tab for the location of the photoslibrary.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5-inch, Late 2009 16 GB memory, High Sierra 10.13.6 500gb ssd, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Photos would not open until I (re)create the library. I recreated the library, and found that it is just a link to the photo's database. Currently downloading the lost 75gb under a different name.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
For future reference, and I hope you won't need it, you can give the "new" library a totally different name and Photos will remember both it and the older one. And once you get the restore done, you can either delete the "new" one and rename the download, or you can just open Photos/Settings/General and use the location area to point to the restored library and it will work just fine.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I did just that and all is well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.