Photos for printing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(iMac (21.5-inch, 2017)
Hi, I recently needed some photos printing out so I put some photos onto a memory stick, on my iMac I partitioned it to 50% MacOS Extended ( journaled ) & 50% ExFat I then dragged & dropped the photos into the ExFat partition but when I took it to the photographic shop we couldn’t open the photos, any advice would be appreciated. P.S. the photos are .jpeg. Regards, JOHN.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I suspect that somehow the photos became corrupt when you dragged and dropped them on to the memory stick. Or, the fact that you partitioned the memory stick to both HFS+ and exFAT caused the corruption. Just format the memory stick to 100% exFAT or HFS+ and try again.

I usually send my photos to be printed by accessing the photo printing web site and upload them directly. The format is the same as yours, jpeg. Never a problem that way.

Are you able to do that in the UK?

OP
johnboy676
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(iMac (21.5-inch, 2017)
I suspect that somehow the photos became corrupt when you dragged and dropped them on to the memory stick. Or, the fact that you partitioned the memory stick to both HFS+ and exFAT caused the corruption. Just format the memory stick to 100% exFAT or HFS+ and try again.

I usually send my photos to be printed by accessing the photo printing web site and upload them directly. The format is the same as yours, jpeg. Never a problem that way.

Are you able to do that in the UK?
Yes we can and I am thinking about doing it that way.
Thanks chscag

krs

Reaction score
I partitioned it to 50% MacOS Extended ( journaled ) & 50% ExFat I then dragged & dropped the photos into the ExFat partition but when I took it to the photographic shop we couldn’t open the photos.
Can the equipment at the shop actually read an HFS+ formatted drive?
My guess would be that having the drive formatted as both ExFat and HFS+ is the problem - Macs can read both formats but Windows centric systems can't.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Can the equipment at the shop actually read an HFS+ formatted drive?
My guess would be that having the drive formatted as both ExFat and HFS+ is the problem - Macs can read both formats but Windows centric systems can't.
Agreed. Uploading the files directly is probably the easiest option. If that's not an option, or you just don't want the photos somewhere else, format the drive as ExFAT only. FAT 32 would probably also work.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Uploading the files directly is probably the easiest option.

You bet. I upload to our local Walgreens and they're ready for me to pickup in an hour or two. Not only that, but Walgreens has specials on photos every so often where they will print them for half price or print to a larger format without an extra charge.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't used that option yet, but I've seen some of the prints that can be produced, and they were pretty good. Even an enlargement of a photo originally taken with a cell phone wasn't bad.

Given the cost of consumables and the time sink that can come with printing them yourself, this certainly seems like a good option.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can positively tell you that it's a lot less expensive than printing the photos yourself. My Canon does very well for printing photos but the cost of the photo paper and ink is just too high. Compared to letting Walgreens do it is a no brainer.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree. In short, "Been there. Done that". Don't do it much anymore

OP
johnboy676
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(iMac (21.5-inch, 2017)
Thank’s for the advice guys much appreciated. (y)
John.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.