Photo's app or Photobucket?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB
Is the Photo's app the same thing as Photobucket? Can I store photo's and get them later to post in different places?

C

chas_m

Not even remotely the same thing. Not sure how you would not understand the difference immediately upon trying each, but Photos is a local application on your Mac that organizes and edits your images. It's library can be backed up as part of Time Machine or any other method you use to back things up. Photobucket is a website that provides a limited amount of storage for images (probably NOT at their original resolution, it should be noted), and offers extra storage for a fee along with other services for a price, such as making coffee mugs out of one of your photos and such.

Online services like PhotoBucket, Flickr, Amazon Prime Photo Storage, iCloud Photo Library, Google Photos and so on and so forth are useful in the sense of having an offline backup (again, however, check on whether they store the originals at full resolution: not all do), and in the sense of having a way to link those photos easily to other sites and services, like here, or on Facebook, etc.

There are some other advantages and issues, but that should give you a good overview. Let us know if you have any other questions.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Online services like PhotoBucket, Flickr, Amazon Prime Photo Storage, iCloud Photo Library, Google Photos and so on and so forth are useful in the sense of having an offline backup (again, however, check on whether they store the originals at full resolution: not all do), and in the sense of having a way to link those photos easily to other sites and services, like here, or on Facebook, etc.

There are some other advantages and issues, but that should give you a good overview. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thats what I need, someplace to link photos to other sites, do they make Photobucket just for iMac to download?

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks IWT, just downloaded it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.